• Page:

Topic

Side light bulbs 8 years 3 months ago #164885

• mgtftone's Avatar Topic Author
  • mgtftone
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
  • 2003 MGTF VVC
Hello. Can someone please advise me :help: I appreciate you can upgrade headlight bulbs but can you do the same with the 5W side lights without a LED conversion. Mine appear a bit dim. :bust:
Regards Tony

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Side light bulbs 8 years 3 months ago #164890

There's a how to here with an option for LED bulbs by Leigh. http://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/9-mgf-tf-pitstop/57127-how-to-change-an-mgtf-sidelight-bulb#57127

Side light bulbs 8 years 3 months ago #164892

5w is the legal maximum for side light bulbs. So to remain legal the only alternative is led bulbs.

The downside is that they are usually much 'bluer' white and make the headlamp bulbs appear yellow!

The 501 type bulb is available in higher wattage, I've seen them at 11w but as I said, not legal. :nonod:
The higher wattage 501s are used in 12v garden lighting.
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Side light bulbs 8 years 3 months ago #164900

Side lights are only really intended as parking lights, legally you can use them in 30mph zones with street lights less than 200 metres apart but for the sake of a little twist you may as well turn on the dipped headlights.

I have Philips blue lighter bulbs (uprated power and a whiter light) which come with a regular sidelight bulb painted blue which give a white glow like LED but not as bright.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Side light bulbs 8 years 3 months ago #164910

• mgtftone
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
  • 2003 MGTF VVC
Hello. Thank you all for your sound advise and information. :broon: Thanks also to Leigh Ping for his excellent 'how to video'. :clap:
I think I will upgrade my side lights to LED ones. If it is ok may consider the rear lights later.
Regards Tony

Side light bulbs 8 years 3 months ago #164928

My tf has blue sidelight bulbs......they light up blue ......i know its past the mot with them in........dont wanna atract the boys in blue...are they legal?

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Side light bulbs 8 years 3 months ago #164943

:nonod: Its illegal to show any colour but white or orange(indicators) at the front of a vehicle.

This doesn't stop many people running around with all sorts of colours showing and they rarely seem to get pulled.

Wagons especially seem to be able to be illuminated like Christmas trees with impunity.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mgtfbluestreak

Side light bulbs 8 years 3 months ago #165081

• mgtftone
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
  • 2003 MGTF VVC
Hello. Just to say I bought and fitted some LED bulbs and very pleased with the result. :broon: Will do others when I can Think will make the driving compartment brighter to.
Thanks again for the advise/info'.
Regards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT