Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Engine Pre-Heater 8 years 7 months ago #162867

Has anyone fitted an engine pre heater to a MGF?
Ours is a 51 plate Stepspeed.
We are looking at either a Wolverine Heaters Engine Oil Pre Heater (such as www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/engine-pre-heaters/wolverine-heaters-engine-oil-pre-heater) or a Engine Coolant Pre Heater (such as www.enginepreheater.co.uk/).
Given the issues with the cooling of this engine where would be the best place to install the wet option?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Engine Pre-Heater 8 years 7 months ago #162868

That seems a bit pointless.

But it's your car and your £85. :pop:

All you really need to do is change the under floor pipes for stainless ones and the rad for an aluminium one as there the places where your most likely to get leaks then get into the routine of regular pre flight checks to oil and water.

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

Engine Pre-Heater 8 years 7 months ago #162869

Hi Andy,
Thank you for the advice, stainless pipes are on the list once the originals give up but at present they have virtually no corrosion on them and radiator is equally in good external condition.
Our question comes from the car only being used for short distances daily so its not getting a chance to get up to full working temperature and de-misting can be a tad slow compared to more modern cars!
Our concern was more interrupting the water flows by fitting a cooling system pre-heater rather than leaks.
Any further thoughts?

Engine Pre-Heater 8 years 7 months ago #162871

I would use this as an excuse to go for a proper drive once a week.

As the car is a convertable it is always going to be more damp than a tin top. I keep a tub of rock salt in the car durring the damper months to draw the mosture.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Engine Pre-Heater 8 years 7 months ago #162879

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Engine Pre-Heater 8 years 7 months ago #162880

Car is staying surprisingly dry inside even without the Hardtop which will go on at the end of the month.
The one bluestreak shows is probably the one we will go for and working on how to hide the electrical connector.

Engine Pre-Heater 8 years 7 months ago #162896

Its your money, but I personally wouldn't bother, a very good excuse to give it a longer drive often, short journeys are the worst thing for a K series, it needs warming, about a mile and mine is up to temperature , then drive it like you stole it!!

If its a steptronic/stepspeed use the paddles, which will get the fluid nice and hot and burn off any moisture. I have a good quality de-humidifier pad which stops any misting up, even with hardtop on!!!!
:woohoo:

Engine Pre-Heater 8 years 7 months ago #162902

One of the reasons I ditched my hardtop is that on Sunny sunday afternoon in mid winter I'll flip the hood open to let the car breath, that and my hood will be down unless it's raining.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Engine Pre-Heater 8 years 7 months ago #162918

Yes, I give mine a good seeing to every 7-10 days 22ml round trip none stop which includes an up hill 1ml long at 6k rpm in 4th than through Delamere forest and home :woo2:
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Engine Pre-Heater 8 years 7 months ago #162920

Yes, I give mine a good seeing to every 7-10 days

That's a little too much information! :omg: :lol: :coat:
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Engine Pre-Heater 8 years 7 months ago #162943

Yes, I give mine a good seeing to every 7-10 days

That's a little too much information! :omg: :lol: :coat:

:bust:
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.026 seconds