Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

TF 6 stud exhaust manifold and cleaning up restric 8 years 9 months ago #161467

Part of the exhaust deal was a later TF 6 stud exhaust manifold which it seems is a slightly better design tube wise than the original 4 stud type. However the internal welds are quite shocking in the way the cause restrictions at the 6 stud flange. Of course when I dedcided to do something about this before fitting it to "Elsie" my 97 VVC I didn't take photos before starting to remove this restrictive welding:-

One wonders as to why this was not done better or at least fettled slightly during manufacture. I know that most of the firms that I have worked for in the past would not allow somethign like this out of the door. One firm wold have but then the boss was just a real shyster and shark.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Pt2 8 years 9 months ago #161469

The difference and even the one of the right has had a little fettling done before I thought is fetching the camera.

Fisnished item ............................ over 2 mm has been removed in some places and there is still a slight lip as I did not want to weaken the welding and cause a failure of the weld in use. Of course we have no way of telling if this will give any improvement in power output without a before and aftr testing on the Dyno/Rolling Road which of course is not going to happen!

Of course bearing in mind what results are achieved through porting of a head this surely must provide better flow and thus better performance and althoguh I would love to take the credit for this idea it was not mine really. I saw a thread over on the .Org forums on such treatment of the manifold and it was there that the chap measured the tube lenghts and found the 6 stud to be better that the 4 stud so as this one came with the S/S Super Sports exhaust it seemed silly not to use it. As my Dremel packed up the other month I used a large round file and did it all by hand.

Of course this won't replace a proper performance tubular manifold like the Piper but the cost of such a manifold is just out of the question for the fore seeable future so this will just have to suffice for now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, bryan young

TF 6 stud exhaust manifold and cleaning up restric 8 years 9 months ago #161489

I did exactly that on the new manifold that i bought for my 96 F, the proper way to do it, is to weld the joints on the outside then grind away the internals to give a smooth bore. my replacement manifold was much better than the OEM one i took off.

Pt2 8 years 9 months ago #161490

The important thing is that you will know.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

TF 6 stud exhaust manifold and cleaning up restric 8 years 9 months ago #161492

I did exactly that on the new manifold that i bought for my 96 F, the proper way to do it, is to weld the joints on the outside then grind away the internals to give a smooth bore. my replacement manifold was much better than the OEM one i took off.

Thank you yes I was aware of that but not having access to a welder and not wanting to pay out more right now on this. The fettling was a compromise.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT