Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Tyres... Variation on a theme.. 8 years 10 months ago #159643

This thread is not meant to be a patronising "you should only fit xxx make of tyres to the MGF otherwise you will die" thread but a more informative, helpful, grown up one looking at what is available today on the market, not based on statements made 20 years ago when tyre choice and technological advances were not what they are today....

So with that in mind.....

I'm looking at fitting one of these two makes below to my MGF.....

Vredestein Ultrac Cento 215/40 ZR16 86Y

Pirelli P Zero Nero GT XL Tyre

Anyone else tried either of these two? Any thoughts or suggestions?

For the past 5 years I have had Goodyear GSD2 and GSD3 fitted all round but following a blowout of the OSF tyre, inside sidewall, on my Audi, also on GSD3's of 5 months vintage, my faith in these tyres has vanished.

Hamilton, the Audi, has Nokian Zlines 225 50 16 fitted and these are marvellous tyres... Unfortunately they don't do 215 40 16 in Nokian's hence looking elsewhere...

I am not interested in Toyos, (3000 miles and the tyre has cracked around the whole circumference and Toyos don't want to know), or Falkens which are a poor quality low end project. Nexens don't float my boat as there is too much understeer with these.

So has anyone tried either of my chosen two above? Both have reinforced sidewalls so should be well suited to the F.

Any thoughts?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by FlyingFin.

Tyres... Variation on a theme.. 8 years 10 months ago #159650

Ive just picked up an F with 16" wheels on it.. 215 tyres all round.. all budgets and im not dead yet..

My 'other' MGF will run Federal 595 RSR in the warmer months.. not an officially recommended tyre by MG and I don't care.. they offer better levels of grip than a T1R or GSD

I was never that impressed with the Toyo's compared with Yoko cut slicks Ive used in the past
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

Tyres... Variation on a theme.. 8 years 10 months ago #159654

Have you considered Yokohama Sdrive? I've had them on my F for the past two years and find them to be a really good tire in terms of ride and traction, both on the track and in the rain.
Mark
95 MGF

Tyres... Variation on a theme.. 8 years 10 months ago #159658

I can't say I'm familiar with either of the tyre choices you have listed above Flying Fin.

My TF 160 came with Japanese Toyos all round when I bought it and I must say they hold the road very well.

I had 215/40/16 Maxxis Victra MAZ1's all round on my old VVC F for over four years and I was very happy with them.When my Toyo's are done I may fit Maxxis tyres to my 160.

Last edit: Post by Bob.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT