Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Horn NOT working when steering wheel buttons press 9 years 1 month ago #157231

:( I have checked the fuse - it's OK
The horn sounds if you set off the alarm, Won't work via either of buttons on steering wheel
Any suggestions / solutions.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Horn NOT working when steering wheel buttons press 9 years 1 month ago #157234

:welcome2: The problem is often the rotary coupler behind the steering wheel. It is a wound ribbon connection and sometimes the ribbon gets damaged. It often happens if the steering wheel has been taken off. You can get problems with the srs ( airbag) light coming on too. It utilises the same ribbon.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: PotionPete

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Horn NOT working when steering wheel buttons press 9 years 1 month ago #157236

Hi and welcome to the forum,

I have had instances of the wiring coming off the buttons. Popthe airbag off and have a look, you can also test the wires then to see if there continuity through the rotary coupler.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Horn NOT working when steering wheel buttons press 9 years 1 month ago #157239

Have you checked the relay?

Horn NOT working when steering wheel buttons press 9 years 1 month ago #157252

If you press the horn button you should hear the relay click from behind the centre console .

I had an issue with my horn not working but I could hear the relay click . Smacked the top of the horn with a hammer and hey presto it worked again ... well for a few weeks then it packed up again so I replaced it

Last edit: Post by CR41G.

Horn NOT working when steering wheel buttons press 8 years 10 months ago #159383

:woohoo: thanks. It turned out to be a fault in the Rotary coupler.I took thye car to Kev at Remobilise in Gorseinon Wales. He checked the relay which was Ok so then checked the Rotary coupler as you suggested and there was a fault in the contiuity of circuit. A replacement was fitted and the horn now works. Bring on the MOT. Diolch Yn Fawr ( Thankyou very much)
Pete

Horn NOT working when steering wheel buttons press 8 years 10 months ago #159384

:woohoo: you were absolutly CORRECT with your advice about the Rotary coupler. That is what it turned out to be. There was no current passing through on of side of the contact pins. A replacement got the horn working again. Thanks. Pete

Horn NOT working when steering wheel buttons press 8 years 10 months ago #159390

:welcome: Welcome :welcome:

Horn NOT working when steering wheel buttons press 8 years 10 months ago #159404

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Hi Pete, whereabouts are you? I live in Pembrokeshire but tend to go to Swansea once a week.
Robin ;)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT