Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MGf/TF Electronic boot release kit 9 years 3 months ago #155582

Found this on ebay, seems simple enough and i like the price, has anyone bought one and how easy was it to fit and does it work? Over 500 sold so surely someone on here has experience of them?

Electric Boot Release Kit - MGF MGTF MG TF T ZR
Completed

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MGf/TF Electronic boot release kit 9 years 3 months ago #155583

Do NOT buy this kit! look for the one which uses a wire loop NOT the brass rod type as you would have to cut the rod to short to be able to get your fingers in and also the screws did not lock on to the cable to pull the release back (do not know if the cable is thinner on MGs or faulty design ) I purchased this kit and after many attempts to fit I send it back for a refund, Hope this helps, if you do go ahead and manage to fit THIS kit Please post pictures or save your self time and purchase the other Kit (only £2 more)

MGf/TF Electronic boot release kit 9 years 3 months ago #155586

That looks exactly like the one that is installed in my F. It has worked well for me for the past four years.
Mark
95 MGF

MGf/TF Electronic boot release kit 9 years 3 months ago #155595

That's the kit I fired on my TF last Autumn & it went in without too much bother. However, I did fit a length of bicycle brake cable to the actual boot release mechanism rather than attaching the brass rod directly.

I connected mine through the handbrake switch so that it couldn't be accidentally opened when driving which added a slight element of faff to the proceedings but easily overcome by putting a diode between the boot switch and the handbrake switch.

If you can get a kit for similar money with a cable draw I'd certainly recommend that.

Edit: actually, now I recall, the red wiring cable they provided with my kit was far too short. I ran it in with the boot lid loom and it only reached the front of the passenger door. Make sure you have suitable cable available to extend it if you follow that path. Might be long enough if you run it down the drivers side though but I doubt it.

Last edit: Post by JanCo.

MGf/TF Electronic boot release kit 9 years 3 months ago #155606

I bought one but but looked difficult to fit & ended up giving it away with the F I sold.
Spare key much simpler :yesnod:

MGf/TF Electronic boot release kit 9 years 3 months ago #155621

I bought that kit, but have not fitted it, heard of many problems and couldn't really see a good secure way of fitting, so its still in the box!!!! I carry a spare key :-)

MGf/TF Electronic boot release kit 9 years 3 months ago #155640

That's the kit I have, and to be honest it is a bit "Heath Robinson", but for £15 and a little adaptation to suit my personal preference of installation, its great.

I use it all the time now, I bet during the day in my business I open the boot 6/7 times, and have done so for the last 18 months. In fact I have to remember to use the key sometimes to prevent the lock from seizing.

But everyone to their own I suppose.

Like I say, for the money you're not getting perfection and you will have to ditch the rod and come up with a bit of bicycle brake cable, but after that ....."nowt wrong with it"
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.068 seconds