Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Bearing choice help 160 build 9 years 5 months ago #153828

I am converting my 135 to a 160. I needed to take the crankshaft out to be able to remove the no1 liner which was solidly in place. The others nearly fell out. Having got the crankshaft out I am considering replacing the main bearings. I have a set of 160 Pistons, conrods and liners so I need to consider bearings for them too.

My Crankshaft has 11111 and BBBB markings. My crank ladder has BBBBC and my Pistons are marked 6A.

I think that means that the first 4 bearings are Blue/Green and the rearmost bearing is green/green. For the big ends it looks like Blue/Blue.

Can anyone confirm or correct my deductions?
Are the 160 cranks different from the 135 version? I didn't think so but doubt has been cast.
Thanks in advance

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bearing choice help 160 build 9 years 5 months ago #153835

Sorry I can't help much but I think the cranks are the same, a part number search on Rimmers may answer for sure.

They should also be able to supply O/E spec bearings.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Bearing choice help 160 build 9 years 5 months ago #153839

There is only 1 crankshaft quoted in Rimmers. The differences appear to be the Pistons. Bearings may be thicker as big ends are A on the Pistons I have. These replace C big ends. I think that means the bearings are thicker but Im not confident yet.

Bearing choice help 160 build 9 years 5 months ago #153855

Sorry Dicky, can't add anything to the discussion on this.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dickybeau

Bearing choice help 160 build 9 years 5 months ago #153856

All most sure pistons,bearings & conrods are up rated on the 160 but nothing else
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Bearing choice help 160 build 9 years 5 months ago #153857

I'm off to the engineering shop to check with them.

Bearing choice help 160 build 9 years 5 months ago #153861

Post up your findings. :yesnod: It'll help someone in the future. :broon:
David
:shrug:

Bearing choice help 160 build 9 years 5 months ago #153865

All K-series bottom ends were standardised to 160 spec by the time Euro2 engines were released - the only different one being the 1.8T, and I gather that there had been plans to standardize on that bottom end, but the company went belly up before that could happen.

Therefore I think that you probably have the best bottom end already - and although marginal at 100bhp per litre, should be fine. The next upgrade step would be forged pistons and rods; the crank is usually good for even higher power and rpm than you've currently got (probably around 220bhp, 8500rpm cut off).
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT