Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Advice Please 9 years 6 months ago #153039

• g4hlr's Avatar Topic Author
  • g4hlr
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
My late 2004 model MGTF had a distinct wobble with the NSR wheel. Anyway, the whole thing was duly dismantled for inspection. - I love the way the book says "remove the flange nut". It took some serious "humouring" to get it undone :bat:

It was immediately apparent that the newness had gone out of the wheel bearing and the bottom bush on the shocker was a shocker!!! :omg: No problem these can easily be replaced. However, when I checked the other bushes - particularly the upper trailing arm, these seemed to me at least to have a lot of movement. Several 'phone calls later I discover that these parts are no longer available :nonod: A main Rover supplier even told me he had never sold a trailing arm ever and had never had one in stock :doh: Ok. Try different tack and ask about polybush kit. Told that no that doesn't contain the trailing arm bush. :bang:

Sooo.... :help: Just how much "play" is acceptable in these bushes :-? I did try to upload some pics of the relevant parts but, the server didn't want to know. Perhaps it doesn't do bushes either??

Normally, I'd replace these parts without a second thought but as they're not available I'm going to have to put it back together with only a new bearing and shocker. Ok so, by the time it's all buttoned up the whole assembly is held from six different points and there is likely to be little or no movement. But just how much play should be in these bushes? I did ask my local MOT tester and he said it's a subjective assessment based on experience. Short of taking another TF apart - ( I'm sure you'd all be happy for me to do that on your TF if I ask nicely :nonod: ).

Thanks guys.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Advice Please 9 years 6 months ago #153044

You mean this arm ?

David
:shrug:

Advice Please 9 years 6 months ago #153045

• g4hlr
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Hi David. Yes that's the beast. Rimmers list it as Part No.: RGD000920. They currently don't have it - or replacement bushes. Minor point but what am I doing wrong as I can't seem to upload piccies.

Cheers

Advice Please 9 years 6 months ago #153048

920 is the right hand one, which Rimmers have in stock. 930 is the left hand one, which they are waiting for..

No idea on the photos - but you can add directly from your hard drive as an attachment or use the photo link icon to add a link.
David
:shrug:

Advice Please 9 years 6 months ago #153199

If you struggle for a new one i have this one having covered only twenty thousand miles.
It is not uncommon to have play in this bush it is quite a soft bush that generally moves 10mm from centre.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: g4hlr

Last edit: Post by GT MG SPARES LTD.

Advice Please 9 years 6 months ago #153313

• g4hlr
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Hi thanks for the response and very kind offer. You've actually answered my original question. I was concerned about the amount of movement in these bushes. But mine is about 10mm also. Have now had chance to check another TF - thanks Tony - and that was exactly the same. So, have now put the original back. There is no play at all when it's all buttoned up and my local MOT guy gave it the thumbs up! I was just surprised at how "soft" the bushes are. Cheers.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT