Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

F Headlights - Sucidial 9 years 5 months ago #152846

Have just returned from driving my daughters MGF in the dark and I can quite safely say that it is sucidial !!! The headlights just don't seem to adjust. I had the lights out because I thought the adjusters were broken but they were just stiff. Looking at other pics, it seems that it is normal to have a yellow stub out of one and what seems to be a broken looking white one on the other. But which does which? They both now turn but the reflector assemblies do not seem to be moving?? The nearside dip illuminates the left hand curb about 2 feet in front and the main beam is nowhere. The offside, I can't even see where it is going!!! I've just had to drive back on main beam and absolutely no flashes from anyone coming in the opposite direction....I really can't let her drive this at night........

Can anyone help please, I only have the car for a couple more days before she comes back for it. Can the adjusters become unattached inside so screwing the adjusters does nothing??

Please Log in to join the conversation.

F Headlights - Sucidial 9 years 5 months ago #152847

Yes, the adjusters can become detached internally (well broken is a more apt word). Adjusted correctly and with good bulbs e.g. Osram Nightbreakers the headlamps are OK. Not brilliant but adequate.
Unfortunately they can also suffer from the reflectors becoming un-silvered so that there is no defined beam. If the reflectors are gone you can get them resilvered or you'll need to buy better ones.
Also the glass lens on the dip side can get dirty and mess up the beam.
David
:shrug:

F Headlights - Sucidial 9 years 5 months ago #152854

I thought the same with my TF, as David said, try Osram Nightbreakers.

They make a load of difference, I know you have further problems like the reflectors, but try new bulbs first.

Good Luck with sorting them, sounds like new headlights or re-silvered at least.

:drive: :drive: :drive:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ralnavman

F Headlights - Sucidial 9 years 5 months ago #152861

Sounds to me as if the bulbs aren't properly seated.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

F Headlights - Sucidial 9 years 5 months ago #152863

Hmm, fair point but shouldn't the aim still change?

F Headlights - Sucidial 9 years 5 months ago #152871

If the adjusters got loose or broke the reflector is loose in the lamphouse and your beam can get anywhere It 'll probably even fly up and down at speedbumps. The ball joint at the adjusters end hooks in a small U-shape slide. Only the lowest adjuster can be slid into this U shape that is open on the underside without dismantling the lamp by taking out the adjuster extending it to the max lenght then hook it in the u-shape and then carefully mount the extender... but it's a hassle.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT