• Page:

Topic

Emissions (that old chestnut)! 9 years 7 months ago #149673

• Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Billy
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Hello Everyone.
Just got back from the test centre, and emissions are sky high. My mate at the garage has given me some fuel treatment and told me to go away and blast it then take the car back this afternoon. Now, I'm sure that I have read somewhere on here that putting the sensor up the other exhaust pipe can make a massive difference. Is this right?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Emissions (that old chestnut)! 9 years 7 months ago #149677

It is usually TT exhausts that have markedly different exhaust gases from the two outlets.
What exhaust do you have?
David
:shrug:

Emissions (that old chestnut)! 9 years 7 months ago #149679

• Billy
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
As far as I know, I have the original fitted, but just as an update, took the car back out and gave her a real good drive for 30 miles or so. Engine bay fan was on so it was nice and hot. It passed the lambda test which failed before and the CO2 is down from 3.2 to 2.5, so it's still way out. My man at the garage suggested oil change.

Emissions (that old chestnut)! 9 years 7 months ago #149684

Is the car mems3?
Is the air filter OK?
David

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Emissions (that old chestnut)! 9 years 7 months ago #149686

OIL change what's that got to do with the emissions? Get some one to look at the sensors on the car one will not be working In my case it was the oxygen sensor before the cat. new sensor all was well again
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Emissions (that old chestnut)! 9 years 7 months ago #149687

• Billy
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
David, no. I have tried the car on a code reader and we are pretty sure that it's the very first version, ( it is a 1997 1.8 vvc).
If I did get it hooked up to a suitable reader, will it show me the sensor values, and if so what or where can I find the parameters?
Oh and by the way, it is a K&N filter which has been on the car for the past 3 tests and flown through and I just recently cleaned it.

Last edit: Post by Billy.

Emissions (that old chestnut)! 9 years 7 months ago #149705

Terraclean? It has sorted my lambda sensor (for now any way).
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Emissions (that old chestnut)! 9 years 7 months ago #149707

OIL change what's that got to do with the emissions? Get some one to look at the sensors on the car one will not be working In my case it was the oxygen sensor before the cat. new sensor all was well again

Ditto.

Emissions (that old chestnut)! 9 years 7 months ago #149708

David, no. I have tried the car on a code reader and we are pretty sure that it's the very first version, ( it is a 1997 1.8 vvc).
If I did get it hooked up to a suitable reader, will it show me the sensor values, and if so what or where can I find the parameters?
Oh and by the way, it is a K&N filter which has been on the car for the past 3 tests and flown through and I just recently cleaned it.

It would show fault codes, which would point you towards the problem. A T300 or T4 will read your car's OBD. Unfortunately the cheap ebay readers only work with mems3 (2001 on)

As a complete guess I would suggest the lambda sensor.:shrug: Unless you are also getting poor fuel consumption then it points to the engine coolant sensor.
David

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Emissions (that old chestnut)! 9 years 7 months ago #149719

Sadly for you the early VVC uses the most expensive Lamaba sensor there is ............................................. just fitted a new one to "Elsie" who is also a 97 VVC. The genuine MG/Rover one is .............................. wait for it .................................:-

£173

Hence I had to buy a pattern one.

Check the exhaust manifold gasket is not blowing as this will effect the readings. Noticed "Elsie's" was when undoing the Lamabda sensor. Also yes it does seem to help the reading if you block one tail pipe. "Elsie" is fitted with a new Bosal box and I did the blocking bit and it made a difference in the readings. In fact she has a new exhaust system except for the manifold itself. I also cleaned and oiled the K&N cone filter, put in new plugs and new plug leads as well.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT