Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Bigger Wheels, Wider Low Profile Tyres, Better? 9 years 10 months ago #145782

Can tell you Robs just gone for a federal 595rsr cut slicks (same as I have) in a non standard MG size .. I know this because he was at mine the other week rolling his arches..

The Federals (untested by MG ) are a road legal slick.. Very soft and sticky.. And Rob loves them.. But doubtless will wear quicker than a regular tyre

As Rob does track days in his F they suit his needs well..

I fitted them because I wanted a tyre that performs well.. Obviously no good for winter driving (minimum recommend road temp 10 deg C ) so now I've got some 'winter wheels' too.. 17" all round..

Robs keen to have a go in my car when it's finished.. And as he's a mate I'll let him have a drive on a track day.. Let him see what he thinks of my car.. (Remember I've fitted non standard brakes and suspension too)

As others have said.. Changing one thing (tyre size for example) can affect numerous other things in the process.. Do your research and choose wisely
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Diesel Destroyer.

Re:Bigger Wheels, Wider Low Profile Tyres, Better? 8 years 5 months ago #163615

Great thread fellas.
Unfortunately, Ive just destroyed a rear tyre after only 25000kms. (Decided to shred its self).
Do you think I can find 195/45 16 and 215/40 16 matching tyres from quality manufacturers in Australia now in 2015?
Ive looked everywhere. My car is running the OEM Goodyear spare which was unused, now 11 years old on the 80kph black rim. As such, Im too scared to go out in public!
Any advice on decent sport tyres from Australian owners is welcomed.
Otherwise, what are my 17 inch rim and decent tyre options.
What issues are there for my 04 MGTF 160 VVC?
Thanks fellers as Im desperate to get my car back on the road.
Ken

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re:Bigger Wheels, Wider Low Profile Tyres, Better? 8 years 5 months ago #163710

Hiya Baytown,

As far as 17" rims go, the biggest problem is the PCD of the MG alloys. To overcome this there are 3 solutions, PCD converting spacers, Changing the hubs themselves to a more common PCD something DD has done on his build, or getting hold of "blank" alloys and getting the holes drilled to the correct PCD for the MG.

Re:Bigger Wheels, Wider Low Profile Tyres, Better? 8 years 5 months ago #163714

Thanks for the great info Denial.
I appreiciate it.
I managed to find 2 Falken 912' 215/40 for the rears, and they should arrive in a few days. ( Only 2 in a state bigger than the UK! That's how dire the tyre situation is here in Oz.)
Ill certainly look in to different rims once I exhaust my tyre options.
Best wishes mate.
Ken

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re:Bigger Wheels, Wider Low Profile Tyres, Better? 8 years 4 months ago #163718

Team Dynamics produce the pro race 17"wheel in the correct pCd.

Whether they sell them in Oz.........?
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Bigger Wheels, Wider Low Profile Tyres, Better? 8 years 4 months ago #163732

If you cant get bigger wheels and you can change the hubs, the question is which donor car has hubs that fit the TF with the least amount of rework.

Bigger Wheels, Wider Low Profile Tyres, Better? 8 years 4 months ago #163735

The better wheel sellers here in Oz will either order wheels with the correct PCD, offset etc or will get the wheels undrilled and have them drilled to suit.
I guess Baytown's problem is that he lives in a region where if it's not a Holden Commodore, Toyota Landcruiser or Hilux, the locals aren't interested.
I had the same problem when I was based in East Gippsland.
Baytown,if you like, I'll ask a mate in the motor trade in Brisbane, if he knows who could help you out, I know Brisvegus is a still long way from you but it's probably the nearest place you'll find a wheel seller that will be able and/or arsed enough to help.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Bigger Wheels, Wider Low Profile Tyres, Better? 8 years 4 months ago #163907

Hi Guys, allow me to introduce myself .....
My name is Thierry, i live in Sunny South Africa on the east coast ... I drive / own a 2002 MG TF 160 --- love it to bits, and a committee member of the Cobra / GT40 club..

I had a similar problem trying to source tyres for my Tf, and in the end I opted for a Falken 912 size 195/45/16 front and 225/40/16 rear ......215/40/16 are just NOT available in SA.
The overhaul difference between the 215 and 225 are less than 2%

As far as the handling is concerned, I think it is better, (maybe my head is trying to convince my wallet ) ...... BUT not worse ....

BAYTOWN, it might be a worthwhile exercise and see IF 225/40/16 tyres are available at the dealers

Hope this helps

Last edit: Post by Thierry KZN.

Bigger Wheels, Wider Low Profile Tyres, Better? 8 years 4 months ago #163910

Hi and welcome to the forum Thierry

Please pop up an introductory thread and tell us more about yourself.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT