• Page:

Topic

Throttle Cable 10 years 2 weeks ago #142801

• Bill's Avatar Topic Author
  • Bill
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Hi All
I want to change my throttle cable...it's sticky enough to make the car jerky in traffic, and although disconnecting and squirting silicone lubricant into each end has helped a little it's still not perfect.
My question is whether the later part number SBB000280 is better to use than the earlier SBB103143. The SBB103143 is on eBay for £37.95 posted, while SBB000280 is £53.45 , but I'm wondering if the revision was an improvement (like maybe a better lining so it's less likely to become sticky again) which means it's worth the extra £15.50.
Can anyone advise ?
Thanks
Bill

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Throttle Cable 10 years 2 weeks ago #142806

I can only tell you that the earlier cable is no longer available from major suppliers. What if any improvement the later part has I don't know.

I almost said it's bound to be better as it's a replacement part then remembered I was talking about MGR. :oops:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill

Throttle Cable 10 years 2 weeks ago #142823

• Bill
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Hmmm.........maybe even if they were manufactured identically it might still be better to get the newer part number on the grounds that the plastic bits won't have aged in storage as much as the old stock might have !

Throttle Cable 10 years 2 weeks ago #143018

My throttle cable was sticks too when I bought.my tf last year. The stickyness disappeared completely when I disconnected it at the engine end and lubticated it with Wd 40 and let it soak into the cable for a while. I think the heat from the engine dries it out. I would try to lubricate it once more and hold the cable upwards for a while before connecting it again.

Throttle Cable 10 years 2 weeks ago #143028

My throttle cable was sticks too when I bought.my tf last year. The stickyness disappeared completely when I disconnected it at the engine end and lubticated it with Wd 40 and let it soak into the cable for a while. I think the heat from the engine dries it out. I would try to lubricate it once more and hold the cable upwards for a while before connecting it again.

I had the same issue; I uncoupled the cable at the engine and fitted a small funnel over the cable with duct tape, cable tied it up to the open boot lid and poured some light oil mixed with WD 40. Left it overnight to soak down and re-connected the next morning and now it's spot-on.

Brian.

Throttle Cable 10 years 2 weeks ago #143039

• Bill
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Thanks both Brian and Mikstur.
I did disconnect the ends when I lubricated it (it feels completely free when disconnected) but if you've both had complete success than it's definitely worth another try, as it certainly improved it the first time. The funnel idea is a neat one.

I did think though that oil based things like WD40 were not supposed to be used on cables because they get absorbed by the plastic lining over time and make it swell up and bind, so. I used silicone lubricant . Maybe are cable liners aren't affected this way and I should try oil based. Did you do yours a while ago ?

Bill

Throttle Cable 10 years 2 weeks ago #143048

Thanks both Brian and Mikstur.
I did disconnect the ends when I lubricated it (it feels completely free when disconnected) but if you've both had complete success than it's definitely worth another try, as it certainly improved it the first time. The funnel idea is a neat one.

I did think though that oil based things like WD40 were not supposed to be used on cables because they get absorbed by the plastic lining over time and make it swell up and bind, so. I used silicone lubricant . Maybe are cable liners aren't affected this way and I should try oil based. Did you do yours a while ago ?

Bill

Lubrication mineral oils and WD 40 will have no effect on ABS, PVC, Nylon or the like, obviously don't use the above products on substances that contain natural products like rubber but the throttle cable is fine.

Brian.

Throttle Cable 10 years 1 week ago #143251

• Bill
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Thanks Brian
I've got some aerosol 3 in 1 with PTFE added, so I'll give that a try.
Bill

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT