Low Fuel Level Warning Light

Low Fuel Level Warning Light was created by Badger

Posted 10 years 2 months ago #142685
I miss the indication of a low fuel level warning light on the TF so decided to retro fit one. I purchased a kit which connects in parallel to the sender wire as per the link below.
https://www.spiyda.com/magento/index.php/low-fuel-warning-light-module.html

Here is the method I used:
I pulled off the fuel pipe at the filter and connected a pipe to a clean 5 gallon container, then pulled out the fuel pump relay and bridged the contacts (white/purple and brown/grey) note this circuit is live with the ignition off.

Pumped all the fuel out and put back in the tank 5 litres.

I made the connections for the control unit at the back of the instrument cluster, the screws that hold the fuel gauge to the cluster are also the electrical connections, so no need to go into the harness.

I fitted a 3mm water clear blue LED into the gauge unit (drill 3mm hole 13mm up from the bottom of the gauge and 10mm in from the right, fit the LED into the gauge with a spot of super glue)

Solder the resistor between the negative of the gauge and the negative leg of the LED (470k is the correct value for a blue LED @12vdc but it’s very bright, so I used a 910k which is a tad dimmer)

Then solder a wire on the positive leg of the LED, now drill a 3mm hole in the back of the instrument cluster and using a M3 screw and bolt the LED wire so the connection can be made on the outside of the cluster.

Just for info; I checked the resistance of the sender, with the fuel gauge disconnected and the 5 litres in the tank the sender gives 100 ohms.

Using method 2 connection of the unit from the supplied insructions (LED positive to module box) I trimmed the pot until the light just came on, then put another litre of fuel in the tank and the LED went out, calibration complete.

The module box has a sticky back, so place in a convenient spot, I used 0.2mm sq multi-core alarm cable between the cluster and module box as there is no current drawn.
Last Edit:1 year 1 day ago by Badger
Last edit: 1 year 1 day ago by Cobber.
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars, Leigh Ping, cairnsys, Davem, Bertl, JanCo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Cornishvillan on topic Low Fuel Level Warning Light

Posted 10 years 2 months ago #142687
I know what you mean... We'll done Badger, job well done.... Filling mine up with fuel and the display only shows 3/4 of a tank! Frustrating but that's part of the quirkiness I suppose :bust:

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis

Replied by Bertl on topic Low Fuel Level Warning Light

Posted 10 years 2 months ago #142696

I'm impressed!

as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

by Bertl

Replied by cairnsys on topic Low Fuel Level Warning Light

Posted 10 years 2 months ago #142703
Excellent job :clap: :clap: :clap:

Robin ;)

Replied by PipL on topic Low Fuel Level Warning Light

Posted 1 year 1 day ago #203336
Hi Badger, I’ve been looking at doing this, alongside fitting a mk2 cluster into my mk1 F.
A couple of things. What is the pot you’re trimming and what does that entail. Second is I see your connection on the back of the fuel gauge but what is the module and where does that white cased wire go to. I’m not usually thick but I’m having an off year 😂 plus what resistor are you using.
Thank you muchly
by PipL

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

Replied by Cobber on topic Low Fuel Level Warning Light

Posted 1 year 1 day ago #203337
I had an Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 105 series, it had a low fuel warning light that gave you @ 60 seconds to find a petrol station!
I also had a Volvo 265 GLE you had @ 50 km before you ran out of motion lotion….the Volvo’s low fuel light was definitely the more useful of the two.

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber

Replied by Airportable on topic Low Fuel Level Warning Light

Posted 1 year 1 day ago #203342
I haven’t seen Badger contribute for a while, however a few months ago G4WAM posed a similar question, I’ll look it up & find the references for you to look through.
What aspect of the mk1 dash makes you want to change to a mk2?

Posted 1 year 1 day ago #203343
Fluctuating speedo ( checked everything so must be the head ), like the silver dials and the lcd display plus I’m looking into rear illumination
by PipL

Posted 1 year 1 day ago #203344
That’s fair enough, I’ve had no experience of this modification & thus cannot be of assistance other than to comment that it’ll involve modifications from an electromechanical system to an electronic arrangement & there are devices which rely on speedo info.
It’s probably been covered on here before, however I don’t recall it. Do keep us posted on this as a snippet from your job could be of value in another.
M

Posted 1 year 1 day ago #203345
I will
by PipL

Posted 1 year 1 day ago #203350
You’ll have to go back a good four months & find post #201214 & I was correct the question was raised by G4WAM. I played with this system with my own designs but ended up with the Spyder designs (?) device.
M

Posted 1 year 1 day ago #203351
Okies cheers
by PipL

Time to create page: 0.557 seconds