• Page:

Topic

MGF Airbox Removal 14 years 3 months ago #9118

• bacchus's Avatar Topic Author
  • bacchus
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Food, Photography & Little British Sports Cars
I had read all the threads relating to removing your old air box, but regardless, thought yeah yeah what a bunch of softies how hard can it be. Well some two hours later, with much swearing, cursing, a minor laceration requiring some deft use of super glue (easier than going to Accident and Emergency for sutures) and some inventive use of a Dremel. I managed to cut the bloody thing into two pieces and using brute force, drag it from its home. I have now rerouted the K&N pipes into the passenger side vent and fixed them in place with plenty cable ties and race tape. All in all a pain in the arse of a job, and one I'm very glad I shall never have to do again.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

GF Airbox Removal 14 years 3 months ago #9119

Been there, done that!
It took me about 20 mins to get the airbox out, I was wondering what all the fuss was about when I realised there was the other part to remove, right down behind the wheel.................two hours later, with bleeding knuckles surrounded by recipricating saws, Stanley knifes, chisels, pad saws, secateurs, wire cutters, infact anything with a sharp blade, it was out, in several pieces but it was out!
Horrible job but dont you feel satisfied when its out?

GF Airbox Removal 14 years 3 months ago #9120

• bacchus
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer

Been there, done that!
It took me about 20 mins to get the airbox out, I was wondering what all the fuss was about when I realised there was the other part to remove, right down behind the wheel.................two hours later, with bleeding knuckles surrounded by recipricating saws, Stanley knifes, chisels, pad saws, secateurs, wire cutters, infact anything with a sharp blade, it was out, in several pieces but it was out!
Horrible job but dont you feel satisfied when its out?

I have to admit I did feel a certain amount of satisfaction when it was out and after I had jumped up and down on the remains several times and dumped it in the wheelie bin with due ceremony.

GF Airbox Removal 14 years 3 months ago #9121

Would this be a bad time to mention I got mine out in one piece in 30 seconds :dc:

The gearbox was out at the time :whistle:

GF Airbox Removal 14 years 3 months ago #9122

• bacchus
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer

Would this be a bad time to mention I got mine out in one piece in 30 seconds :dc:

Until I scrolled down and saw the bit about the gearbox I was about to call you several things not normally said in polite company..... :rofl:

GF Airbox Removal 14 years 3 months ago #9127

Its a good job I noticed the gearbox thing before I replied too :rolleyes2:

I must admit I did shout YEEESSSSS, ya B*****D when the last bit came out :yesnod:

GF Airbox Removal 14 years 3 months ago #9128

Well thanks guys, you have just made my mind up... I am NOT EVER going to change the air box on mine now!!!!
Angel to Devil in 0.2 seconds...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oi, stop using foul language or I'll give you one!

GF Airbox Removal 14 years 3 months ago #9129

cut mine out with the cutting tool on a soldering iron, beat with a hammer and chiesel. it took a couple of hours and i nearly ran out of swear words (big thanks to the local kids who taught me some more upto date ones).:rolleyes2:

GF Airbox Removal 14 years 3 months ago #9130

I did remove our air box in about 5 minutes, but it is a Mk2 F and doesn't have the 'second' box.
David
:shrug:

GF Airbox Removal 14 years 3 months ago #9141

cut mine out with the cutting tool on a soldering iron, beat with a hammer and chiesel. it took a couple of hours and i nearly ran out of swear words (big thanks to the local kids who taught me some more upto date ones).:rolleyes2:

lol nice to know some of the youth of today are respecting their elders :)

the TF airbox was nice and easy to remove :dc:

unlike removing the engine start button from under my gear selector assembly... thanks to which I'm still in therapy!
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT