Sign In   Register

Topic

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 10 months ago #195949

I've had to purchase a runabout in the mean time, so now have a Honda CRV 2007 for daily use. I can't get my head around the cavernous space inside and the high seating position. Plus it has loads of extras like cruise control, rear reversing camera and air con, not available in my MG. Plus it doesn't rattle going over speed bumps, lol.

I have a CRV as my daily, they are rock solid and amazing build quality, as an ex Rover employee I believe they were the best years when Honda were partners, the bud quality was definitely improving, sadly the MGF was but under BMW and they restricted costs so quality reduced.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 10 months ago #195972

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
I have to agree, the quality of the fittings and the lack of squeaks or rattles is pretty impressive. Everything looks and feels almost like a new car!
David
:shrug:

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 10 months ago #196002

Then I am not sure if I should use my trusted arc welder, go round to my lads to borrow MY gas/gasless Clarke Mig (will it have gas, will it have wire, will it still work?) or go to Lidl in the morning to buy one of their Parkside wire (read gasless mig) welders for £80 - who doesn't like buying new tools LOL ;)

I did go to Lidl on Sunday and have been impressed with the £80 machine.
However I found that the auto welding helmet I have wouldn't tighten up so I have to hold it with one had as I weld.
So I went to the Lidl close to where I work on the way home tonight to buy one of theirs.
No stock of either the helmet or the welder and just 2 rolls of welding wire.
I dropped into my local branch who had 1 welder and 2 helmets left, out of 5 machines and 6 helmets on Sunday, and 6 rolls of wire.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 10 months ago #196024

Welding done, grinding back done, now on to filler and paint.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 10 months ago #196033

when I bought the car the radio had c**p reception and had no CD/MP3/AUX nothing, so this week I fitted a Sony with all the previous plus DAB. When I pulled the old radio I discovered it was only about 2 inches deep and weighed less than the Sony instruction book!
Now have lovely sounds and FM reception just need to work out the DAB instructions, it doesn't seem hard it's finding the time, when I master it will it mean I'm a dab hand?

Re:Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 9 months ago #196314

I've had to purchase a runabout in the mean time, so now have a Honda CRV 2007 for daily use. I can't get my head around the cavernous space inside and the high seating position. Plus it has loads of extras like cruise control, rear reversing camera and air con, not available in my MG. Plus it doesn't rattle going over speed bumps, lol.

I have a CRV as my daily, they are rock solid and amazing build quality, as an ex Rover employee I believe they were the best years when Honda were partners, the bud quality was definitely improving, sadly the MGF was but under BMW and they restricted costs so quality reduced.

I have a crv as well ! 2011 but i have an axle rattling...so they are good but not flawless...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

Re:Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 9 months ago #196326

This week purchased a good hood and frame + glass hrw, I thought unzip window, drill out pop rivets and transfer to my car easy. When as ever was it thus, the end of the zip was corroded into the retainer box, soaking in various fluids lots of swearing and over a day later I got it undone and removed the hood panel. Close examination showed the stitching round the glass was failing so now it's with a friend of mine to be restitched this week. The weekend I did a 400m round trip to pick up a leather interior couldn't take the TF (space issues obviously) so took the C3 boring, boring, boring but at least I got 49mpg. The interior is in very good condition and I've cleaned it all, now need to feed the leather and put into the car. I need to check the pretensioner cable connectors to see if they follow, the seats I picked up have red connectors anyone know what I'm liable to find in my 2002 TF or is it pot luck. I was thinking if they don't follow just swap the tensioners over it looks pretty easy or am I mistaken.

Re:Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 9 months ago #196327

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
Yep. Easy to swap the tensioners.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: deepfat

Re:Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 9 months ago #196387

The pre-tensioner is held in with the same T50 torx bolts as the actual seat.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 8 months ago #196480

Today I fitted a new blower resistor.
I found one on AliExpress for about $13 so thought it was worth a shot.
It's nice to have 4 speeds on the fan.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 8 months ago #196489

This week I fitted a servo brace and had to change out the heater inlet to the latter snorkel type, I wanted to get it out in one piece (why?) but looking at the space available decided to cut it into pieces. I don't have a dremel (or similar) so took the sole plate off the jigsaw and used that but watch the brake pipes. The only prob was the front N/S mounting the How To I was following said jack the car up put it on a stand and tackle from below, it was a very hot day and this seemed apita so after removing most of the box I cut (stanley knife) around the square metal mounting that the screw went into, a 20mm socket (other sockets are available) fitted the square nicely and I undid that from above, easy.
I then fitted the brace which I was not entirely happy with, the brace is meant to stop the servo moving by supplying a solid mounting, clamping a foam and plastic sandwich between the plate and the body is not to me an engineered solution. The supplied ss bolts were also a very sloppy fit (to aid fitting?) so I ran a 10mm drill through the two outer mountings and went for 10mm bolts which fit snugly, I could not do this with the middle one so had to use the bolt supplied. The mount is now solid but I'm not 100% happy and may revisit when I have thought of a better solution.
One thing that struck me was, I fitted the bolts from below as access to the nuts would be easier from above, the bolt heads are in a channel formed by the body and if suitably sized square washers were welded to the bolt heads there would be no need to put a spanner (awkward) on these as the channel would stop them turning. If only I had welding gear and could learn to use it I would be a happier man.
The coming week, get my new endoscope up and running and hopefully investigate what I need to fit the fog lights, I hope the mountings are there as the ones on ebay are £60 for two bits of plastic!!!!! anybody know a work around.I also hope to get pscan and RAVE running on the lap top I've bought purely for the car, apparently RAVE doesn't like Win 10 (does anyone) and this will be my third attempt at getting pscan to load, happy days

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 8 months ago #196502

Fitted new stainless steel underbody coolant pipes.as I had to drain coolant to change water pump etc.  Other than playing with the stuck engine mount bolt in other thread, just wiping off the bird poo.  Probably a good time to fit a coolant level sensor as well.

My coolant pipes did not come with new bolts and the old ones were too short, had to use longer ones.  I got my pipe on ebay, sams-autos, other than bolts, all good.

Last edit: Post by TwistedPuppet.
Time to create page: 0.287 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT