Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

2005 TF head gasket? 10 years 3 months ago #138488

• g4hlr's Avatar Topic Author
  • g4hlr
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Hi Folks. I'm looking at a 2005 TF with a view to buy. Owner tells me it doesn't need MLS gasket as it was and I quote.."fitted with the uprated BMW gasket at the factory".... Any info would be most welcome. I don't mind doing the gasket if it needs changing but it could be a factor on negotiations!!

Cheers

John :woowoo:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2005 TF head gasket? 10 years 3 months ago #138495

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
This might be some white lies.

The MLS ones were fitted to the later cars, but I had an 04 reg and it went.

What colour and type is it? I like looking at cars :)

2005 TF head gasket? 10 years 3 months ago #138497

• g4hlr
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Hi. Thanks for that. It's BRG and a 135. I've looked through the books/info that I have available and although that tells me the suspension was changed to be a bit more user friendly it doesn't say anything about the engine.

2005 TF head gasket? 10 years 3 months ago #138499

A lot will depend also on when it was BUILT not registered. Quite a few '05 cars are in fact '04 or earlier - if it's a true MY05 it will have a glass rear screen and more compliant suspension, but then even that isn't a guarantee as it could have been updated by the owner.

2005 TF head gasket? 10 years 3 months ago #138501

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
If you're looking at buying a BRG TF I am selling mine its on a 53 reg, registered 31/12/04 so really an 04 reg. :vulture:

Build thread:
http://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/9-mgf-tf-pitstop/87685-bogey-progress-thread?start=120#138404

Sale thread:
http://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/31-for-sale/90545-selling-up-mgtf-135-brg-53-reg#135258

Google Docs Link:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IYsX30vgPStUvwEG5RIoVNEkocfyYkb-zxZnCrFgDBI/edit?usp=sharing

Last edit: Post by bensewell.

2005 TF head gasket? 10 years 3 months ago #138509

I'd check out Bens TF - He's done a lot of good stuff to it!

2005 TF head gasket? 10 years 3 months ago #138529

• g4hlr
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Thanks for the info guys. It's the 2005 model I'm really after not so much the BRG, (sorry Ben). I need the more compliant suspension and general improvements, coolant alarm, etc. Have now sold the BGT as the XYL can't get in and out so easily anymore. Come to that, I was having difficulty with a dignified exit! Found that with the bigger doors the MGF/TF was more "user friendly". Besides we both want to keep MG'ing as long as we can. Will have to see if I can find out when this one was built. Adam do you have any idea when they made the improvements? Is there a chassis number series or, does it have to be well into 2005? If I remember rightly production ceased about April/May 2005? Sorry it's a lot of questions but I think you can see what I'm after and why. Cheers guys.

2005 TF head gasket? 10 years 3 months ago #138541

I'm honestly not sure of exact dates - hopefully someone here may be able to point you in the right direction. One issue you may have is that as MGR began to fall apart there was really no telling what was put in the cars. So check the car over REALLY well. Specifically check it for rust... the later cars had very sparse corrosion protection compared to the older cars.

The other option would be to go for a really well looked after F with Hydolastic suspension. You can always have a coolant alarm fitted. If you go with an MY00 onwards F you'll get the TF style interior and seats, butthe softer F suspension, and probably better rust prevention.

2005 TF head gasket? 10 years 3 months ago #138557

look up dieter [ he is in Germany ] on the f reg site give him the vin No and he will tell you when it was made or put a search in on this site for dieter
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Last edit: Post by helsbyman.

2005 TF head gasket? 10 years 3 months ago #138560

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
if you post the VIN I may find out a little more.
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

2005 TF head gasket? 10 years 3 months ago #138644

• g4hlr
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Hi Guys. Sorry not been able to get the VIN as yet. But may take Adams advice and have a look at a really good late model MGF that's had all the work done. There's plenty out there at the mo. Will post the VIN when I get chance. Cheers

2005 TF head gasket? 10 years 3 months ago #138647

http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group1/info/mgf_history.htm not sure if this helps or not
The following user(s) said Thank You: g4hlr

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT