Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Engine warning light, again. 10 years 4 months ago #135600

Hey all. The wife started the TF this morning and the engine warning light came on. This only happens when temperatures drop below freezing, which they have started to do recently. The last time this happened we made an unscheduled stop at a garage and the mechanic plugged in his diagnostic machine, reset it and told us to contact him if it did it again. He wasn't sure at the time if our particular TF, (2004, 115) had a sensor, (possibly Lambda) as apparently , some don't ,and whether that might be the problem.
Anyway, it's a solid, not flashing, light and apart from that the car drives fine......any thoughts.
If sensor. Is it an easy fix? No garage or axle stands at the moment though.
Cheers.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Engine warning light, again. 10 years 4 months ago #135602

Get yourself an ODB2 reader off e-bay. They cost approx £30. That will allow you to get the codes, and then google them, or put them on here for feedback.

Engine warning light, again. 10 years 4 months ago #135603

• Visitor
  • Visitor
Exactly what I did for my 75. At one point the engine management light came on so often it was beginning to get right on my...

So to ebay. Cost me 19.99 inc postage and probably the best money I've ever spent. It was costing me 30 quid a time for a T4 session. Top and bottom of it is the dodgy Kwik Fit cat that the previous owner had fitted :rant:

Anyway I digress-buy one! ;)

Get yourself an ODB2 reader off e-bay. They cost approx £30. That will allow you to get the codes, and then google them, or put them on here for feedback.

Engine warning light, again. 10 years 4 months ago #135605

I have an OBD reader. It came with the car. I am not entirely sure how to use it though. I've fiddled about with it and no codes ever appear. Any quick lessons on what I should be doing.

Engine warning light, again. 10 years 4 months ago #135606

What kind of reader is it? What does it look like? :-?
David
:shrug:

Engine warning light, again. 10 years 4 months ago #135610

It's an ELM 327. I use it with the free Torque app on my phone. Been through the menu dozens of times. Works fine for elevation above sea level and other nonesense but no error codes.

Engine warning light, again. 10 years 4 months ago #135637

It's possible the reader is duff. There were a lot of dodgy bluetooth readers about on ebay.

I have one of these and once it connects I an see live data, fault codes etc.

Do you get the 4 steady blue icons top left under the TORQUE heading?
ie 1 that looks like a plane 1 that represents the phone 1 that represents the reader and 1 that represents the car.
David

Engine warning light, again. 10 years 4 months ago #135653

I will check later once the wife gets home. Is it a case of all four on display or toss it in the bin?
Can anyone recommend a good yet cheap OBD reader if that is the case?

Engine warning light, again. 10 years 4 months ago #135654

Also. Is it possible weak coolant strength and cold weather would trip the warning light?
I will take a sample and pop some in the freezer tonight. Minus 19 should sort the 50/50 from the pisswasser. Only had the TF a few weeks so working through the grey areas and little quirks as we go along.

Engine warning light, again. 10 years 4 months ago #135655

I also HAD a problem with my light but mine was a duff cam sensor and my reader just said po 300 which was a misfire but didn't say why it misfired
Having said that if you light comes on and stays on there is not much wrong so don't worry to much as with my car it was a misfire that you would not even notise
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Engine warning light, again. 10 years 4 months ago #135656

You'll only get the 4 blue icons if it all connects properly.
Weak coolant strength will have no effect on the reader.
David

Engine warning light, again. 10 years 4 months ago #135664

Ok. Four blue icons all present. Pending fault came up with : P0170.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT