Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MGF Reborn is Reborn 10 years 5 months ago #134987

I have done a lot of work, mostly on a DIY basis, to my 1996 vvc. All has been the usual improvements as opposed to modifications. Like the car, I am getting older and did not relish the thought of sorting out the scabby and rusty front subframe. After making several enquiries, I remained dubious who I might entrust the work to. Trickett Welding in Dorset were suggested by a friend. He told me they had taken over MGF-Reborn. Being a bit wary, I went to see their facilities for myself; the workshop has 2 & 4 post lifts, several cars were being restored and serviced by Nigel Trickett’s men and they have a heated paint shop for resprays. I got the impression MGF-Reborn really had been reborn!

I went back with the car for a preliminary check so a quote could be prepared. In addition to the subframe refurbishment, a new radiator and hoses were required and it was proposed to renew the top ball joints, drop links and track rod ends. The existing frame mounts and wishbones with polybushes were OK and could be re-used. Same with the Gaz shocks. The quote included new bolts throughout with improved 12.9 grade on the subframe mounts. On completion MGF-Reborn would get the tracking redone and the car MOT’d – both facilities are on the same industrial estate. In the end, the only unexpected expense was replacing the CAT when the MOT test failed on emissions.

When discussing the work, Nigel said there would be waiting time to take into account whilst the removed frame was blasted clean of old paint and rust, repaired as necessary and primed/painted ready for fitting. I could expect to be without the car for 7-10 working days. To reduce that “off the road” time Nigel reluctantly agreed to provide another frame with crash cans all stripped, cleaned and primed ready for me to Hammerite and Waxoy at home. I think he would have preferred to use his own treatments and finish, but I am old school and wanted to do that element of work myself, to get some sense of self satisfaction. (I’ve since agreed to let him have the car in February, after I’ve saved up, for an underbody treatment with anti-rust injections to the sills).

Since getting the car back I am surprised how “planted” the car feels on the road. I suspect the replacement suspension joints help, together with spheres pumped to correct height and fresh tracking. I’ve done 300 miles without a hitch so far. The coolant seems fine, no need to top up and the temp gauge is consistently a notch below half way. The interior heater works well. In all I am satisfied the bleeding process must have been done properly. I must take the car back for a free check-over within the next 100 miles – although from what I can check with the wheels off, there’s nothing loose or missing.

So there we have a recommendation for MGF-Reborn, now reborn under new ownership.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MGF Reborn is Reborn 10 years 5 months ago #134988

Good to hear. I had heard that Trickett's did good work. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:

MGF Reborn is Reborn 10 years 5 months ago #135044

I think I may have changed the name so as to have complete separation from the old 'company'. :yesnod: Mud sticks unfortunately.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT