Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Catalytic converters -Do you get what you pay for? 10 years 5 months ago #133424

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • Away
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
We have all experienced or heard of the annual struggle to pass MOT emissions. Why is this?
Is it because people are buying the cheap cats available from ebay?
Like these ones selling at around £35-£40:-

Last year I fitted one of these cheap cats just before the MOT it passed emissions after an Italian tune up. This year it just passed after an extended Italian tune up and several test attempts.

I decided to splash out on one of these:-
A genuine MGR part, but over twice the cost of a 'cheapie'

After fitting this cat, we tested the emissions when the car was hardly warmed up. Sailed through with very low figures. So perhaps you do get what you pay for.:shrug: Next year's MOT will be the ultimate test.
The one we took off had deteriorated internally so that you could see through it.
David
:shrug:
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Catalytic converters -Do you get what you pay for? 10 years 5 months ago #133425

Do you know if the silencers/down pipes from the same place are also a bad buy?

Catalytic converters -Do you get what you pay for? 10 years 5 months ago #133426

• David Aiketgate
  • Away
  • David
  • David
Which place do you mean?
David

Catalytic converters -Do you get what you pay for? 10 years 5 months ago #133430

Places like Mr Exhaust on ebay.

Re:Re: Catalytic converters -Do you get what you pay for? 10 years 5 months ago #133440

• David Aiketgate
  • Away
  • David
  • David
I think there is less difference between aftermarket downpipes and silencers to oem. If you're keeping the car then stainless is the way to go.
David

Re:Re: Catalytic converters -Do you get what you pay for? 10 years 5 months ago #133443

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
My experience with cheap cats hasn't been good.

I have bought a few for cars, including the Freelander, and they have helped get the car through the mot, but failed the next year.

Time before last, I paid a couple of hundred squids to Kwikfit for a new cat including fitting and it has lasted 2 mots so far.

Catalytic converters -Do you get what you pay for? 10 years 5 months ago #133487

Hi all
My 10yr old [9 on last mot ] sailed though on emmisions nearly 0 on all. Dont know if it has anything to do with a bit of head modding that was done at 45k mls [HGF ] now 62k mls. Perhaps a teraclean may help your cars? as my head was cleaned when the modding was done
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Catalytic converters -Do you get what you pay for? 10 years 5 months ago #133517

We have all experienced or heard of the annual struggle to pass MOT emissions. Why is this?
Is it because people are buying the cheap cats available from ebay?
Like these ones selling at around £35-£40:-

Last year I fitted one of these cheap cats just before the MOT it passed emissions after an Italian tune up. This year it just passed after an extended Italian tune up and several test attempts.

I decided to splash out on one of these:-
A genuine MGR part, but over twice the cost of a 'cheapie'

After fitting this cat, we tested the emissions when the car was hardly warmed up. Sailed through with very low figures. So perhaps you do get what you pay for.:shrug: Next year's MOT will be the ultimate test.
The one we took off had deteriorated internally so that you could see through it.

I see you purchased from a business partner.Thanks for the recommend David.
Glenn will be happy.

Catalytic converters -Do you get what you pay for? 10 years 5 months ago #133528

Cheap cats are cheap for a reason. Buy a good one and a decat pipe. That way you will be passing MOTs in 30 years with the same one...

Supercover has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Social hand grenades don't exist. ;)

Catalytic converters -Do you get what you pay for? 10 years 5 months ago #133581

I dont know where you bought your cheapo cat from David but I got mine from Mr Exhaust for £39 and its passed every MOT since. That was 3 or 4 years ago.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT