Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Best Snow Cars 10 years 6 months ago #132999

• bensewell's Avatar Topic Author
  • bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
Wife is panicing early..

So lol lets go for it, what is the best car in winter?

Considering at some point getting rid of the vectra, choices include MPV, 7 Seater 4x4 or a huuuuge estate.

But some of the so called 4x4's are dogger.

Anyone got any tips / recommendations.

Out of all my cars I've come to the conclusion the crapper and more basic it is the better in the snow it is. My corsa, micra, nova, 106 made it up every hill every time, no issues. The ZR was a bit crap, Vectra is rubbish all the fancy things it has you can't turn off so the slightest bit of wheel spin and the car starts braking on whatever wheel is out of control. It is turd!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Best Snow Cars 10 years 6 months ago #133002

I have a jaguar x-type AWD and it is superb in the snow and that's with the 18" wheels and regular tyres. Think it would be unstoppable with smaller wheels and winter tyres.
Thanks

Alan

Best Snow Cars 10 years 6 months ago #133005

Get Winter tyres. We run the F all year. Winter tyres about to go on. We live on an un-gritted hilly road.
Nuff said?
David
:shrug:

Best Snow Cars 10 years 6 months ago #133007

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Had one of these as a company car for 4 months. This is the best car I've driven in the snow. Didn't find anything that stopped it. ;)

Best Snow Cars 10 years 6 months ago #133010

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
if you're looking for something basic that nothing can stop:

as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

Best Snow Cars 10 years 6 months ago #133011

Fair dos Clive. :dry: :lol: That would take a bit of beating. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Best Snow Cars 10 years 6 months ago #133012

Give one of these a go....

:hgf:

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)
Attachments:

Best Snow Cars 10 years 6 months ago #133032

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
We bought a Freelander 3 years ago for that very reason.

Cost us around £1400 at the time and is great to drive. Even Anne enjoys driving it.

It has needed some work, but mostly consumables etc. Nothing more than you would expect from a 13 year old car.

We are that impressed with it that when we do come to get "The next car" we might be replacing the Focus ST and the Freelander with a newer model Diesel Freelander as Annes main car.

The following user(s) said Thank You: bensewell

Best Snow Cars 10 years 6 months ago #133040

i usually find that shouting 'Come On' and 'Power' at regular intervals gets me where i need to be. :slapme:
seriously though, all you need is to anticipate, carry your momentum, and generally not drive like a dick.
i had a 330Ci Sport which never got stuck in Scottish winters, despite the comments and naysaying.
inclines of packed snow could be helped by putting the handbrake on a couple of clicks, just to help the traction control.

Last edit: Post by really?.

Best Snow Cars 10 years 6 months ago #133041

Deffo a Landrover...pretty much any kind but a Defender 90 takes a lot of beating...Good for doing the shopping for the neighbours when its a tad slippy...and great fun too..bring on the snow !

more of a truck than a car though...
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Best Snow Cars 10 years 6 months ago #133050

Subaru Legacy AWD 3.0Rn Flat 6 on winter tyres, :broon: towed a Freelander V6 Auto out of a drift last year. :oops:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bensewell

Best Snow Cars 10 years 6 months ago #133055

If you can stand the total lack of performance and don't need to carry a lot, the Mk2 Fiat Panda 4x4 is incredibly good in snow especially with the right tyres. My other half has one and we've used it to tow quite a few much bigger cars uphill in the snow on the road we live on in the Highlands. 0 - 60 in 22 seconds though! Still, the Italian Police use them in the Alps for a reason.

Or as Clive suggests a BV206...

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT