• Page:

Topic

Tappets after HG Replacement...Meh :( 10 years 7 months ago #130353

• figo's Avatar Topic Author
  • figo
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Going Topless
As some of you may know from the org I had a mobile mechanic replace my headgasket last week.

New Belts, new gaskets, Magnatec used for an oil change and pump replaced..

Before the change it was pretty tappety for say the first minute or so of driving the it totally quietened up. I figured since it was 65k K-Series this was normal and after a good service it would be better.

I spoke to the mobile mech and was advised to try some wynns and see if it sorted it out but no avail.

Its been about 350-400 miles since the change now so I guess that any new oil would be "bedded in" and I shouldnt have this noise.

Im a tad miffed as its sounds worse than when the gasket was shot. :bat: :-? :-? :-?

What could it be?

Decided to justify keeping the TF as it was "Only £600" to get the work done and if it gave me another year or so I would be happy...

:bang: :spank:

I do know my PreCAT lambda is shot. must of shifted during the HG and was touching he exhaust mani its frayed through and I have another one on order.

Would a messed up Lambda reading cause injectors to go loopy and click like mad? Ive had the cover off and driven about and just cannot pinpoint the noise.

No error codes other than my P0170 lambda code.

Would too much oil cause it to click? Its at MAX on dipstick.

Ideas people?
MG TF 135 135 Bhp

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Tappets after HG Replacement...Meh :( 10 years 7 months ago #130379

Tappets should quiet once filled with oil. So before the change sounds right. Oil is right level and wouldn't cause clicking. If it doesn't now quieten at rev, I would check for an exhaust leak.Have you checked the tightness of the exhaust manifold bolts? Have you spoken to the mechanic?
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Tappets after HG Replacement...Meh :( 10 years 7 months ago #130384

• figo's Avatar Topic Author
  • figo
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Going Topless
Yeah the mechanic said to try wynns and eliminate tappet noise.

Why would the exhaust have been taken off during HG replacement?
MG TF 135 135 Bhp

Tappets after HG Replacement...Meh :( 10 years 7 months ago #130386

Yes, to get the head off and out, the exhaust manifold is disconnected. Usually the inlet manifold stays on the head. The ticking noise(if not tappets or carbon canister) is very suggestive of a small exhaust leak. A quick check of the manifold nuts will give you the answer.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: helsbyman

Re:Re: Tappets after HG Replacement...Meh :( 10 years 7 months ago #130388

I agree with the exhaust manifold leak... mine had this problem, but once warm the leak sealed. Thought it was the tappets for ages. Until I gave the nuts a bit extra tighten.
The following user(s) said Thank You: helsbyman

Tappets after HG Replacement...Meh :( 10 years 7 months ago #130420

Ha have a pal with same problem will tell him to look at his manifold
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Tappets after HG Replacement...Meh :( 10 years 7 months ago #130430

i had similar ticking issues on a mkI MX5 (calm down at the back :hgf: )

however, the manifold being tubular (£350 for anyone thinking of an early mx5), there was a hidden crack in one of the pipes.
tip for finding the source; grab the outside of a biro (just the clear tubesome part) and insert the narrow end into a length of fish tank tubing. presto! one stethoscope you can wave about in the engine bay, with the other end of pipe in your lughole.

this makes all manner of noises easier to locate, rough idle/failed intake pipes, etc.

Last edit: Post by really?.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT