Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Help - Coolant loss around engine area 10 years 7 months ago #129117

:( Just done a relatively long journey with the TF, at the end of the journey I noticed that water/coolant was pissing out from around the engine area. Oil gauge was at 110 and Engine Temp was just under halfway. never really moved through the whole journey. I am however experiencing a whirring slight squeal type noise on start up from cold, which normally goes after about 5mins of the car heating up.

Water pump?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Help - Coolant loss around engine area 10 years 7 months ago #129118

If there is still water coming out, look from the back as to which side. If it is the drivers side (and roughly behind the wheel), then very likely the water pump, If passenger side and more towards the front, then most likely a hose that's gone. Either way, don't drive the car!

Help - Coolant loss around engine area 10 years 7 months ago #129121

Yes it did come from the drivers side behind the wheel.

Help - Coolant loss around engine area 10 years 7 months ago #129127

That is why your belt is squealling its getting wet
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Help - Coolant loss around engine area 10 years 7 months ago #129155

The coolant loss was at the end of the journey, the slight whining/squeal noise is only for the first 5mins of driving form cold.

Just tested the fan following the youtube post of how to. did not hear any fan kicking in at the engine area, when I had the plug disconnected. Checked inner fuse box, no issues and also under bonnet fuse box again no issues.

Help - Coolant loss around engine area 10 years 7 months ago #129236

Ok definite problems here! :(

The engine bay fan is not working even when temp sensor is disconnected, was able to access the fan from the drivers side scoop, it's not stuck as it moved freely. All fuses are intact!

Is the rad fan also meant to come on with the temp sensor disconnected? if so then that also sounds like it was not working.

Suggestion?

Help - Coolant loss around engine area 10 years 7 months ago #129240

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
fuses, check them first. Easy fix maybe?

Re:Help - Coolant loss around engine area 10 years 7 months ago #129241

Ok definite problems here! :(

The engine bay fan is not working even when temp sensor is disconnected, was able to access the fan from the drivers side scoop, it's not stuck as it moved freely. All fuses are intact!

Is the rad fan also meant to come on with the temp sensor disconnected? if so then that also sounds like it was not working.

Suggestion?

IF the fuses are all OK and the fan is still not working, it is possible the fan has seized or failed. First thing to see is if you can rotate the blades, which is not easy due to the location. If you can and after rotating them it still does not fire up, there could be a wiring issue so check the plug on the fan. If you can't turn the blades it is new fan time!

Having said that, I have one you can have if need be

Help - Coolant loss around engine area 10 years 7 months ago #129279

I managed to turn the fan by taking the side scoop out, was able to the turn the fan by hand straight away with no friction, so I would assume it was not seized. I have been told to change the fuses anyway even if they dont look like they have blown. Will try that tomorrow!

How accesible is the plug at the fan?

Appreciate the offer of the fan, I will let you know if I will need it, many thanks!

Help - Coolant loss around engine area 10 years 7 months ago #129280

Under the steering wheel.

Fuse 6
David
:shrug:
Attachments:

Help - Coolant loss around engine area 10 years 7 months ago #129283

David
:shrug:
Attachments:

Help - Coolant loss around engine area 10 years 7 months ago #129422

OK had the panel off today and got to the connector at the fan. No sign of corrosion at the contact points and still no sign of life at the fan.

Will try the relay and will change over the fuses even though they look ok.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT