Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

loose connections 10 years 8 months ago #127122

• sam47's Avatar Topic Author
  • sam47
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Hello, advise please. I am attending the MG Northumbria Heritage run tomorrow, and as you do I thought I would check over maggie. Came across two loose connections. Can anyone tell me are they important/relevant :-? I mean maggie or I aint going to die :nonod:

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: clicked insert on photo

loose connections 10 years 8 months ago #127125

Not sure but are they for the exhaust valve which may have been removed when the exhaust was changed?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

loose connections 10 years 8 months ago #127126

They are from the vacuum valve.

Last edit: Post by GT MG SPARES LTD.

loose connections 10 years 8 months ago #127131

• sam47
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
ok pardon my ignorance, wor lass has a dyson. Do I plug in when I am cleaning the car mats :-? :coat:
The local MG garage replaced the exhaust in March. they also put a LoLarm II in at the same time. The connection I am holding was lying under the expansion tank. It looks more like tubing than wiring.

loose connections 10 years 8 months ago #127134

Are both photos of the same item?

The second one does look like a vacuum pipe. I have no personal experience of the mk2 F/TF exhaust valve but I thought it had wiring and vacuum connections.

Alternatively have a look around the throttle body to see if there is a pipe missing it's vacuum hose.

loose connections 10 years 8 months ago #127135

• sam47
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
No, the tubing I am holding is in the the expansion tank area and the other connector is next to the exhaust underneath the car. The one next to the expansion tank is a white tubing which looks as if it heads off in the same direction as the cable release for the bonnet and could be attached to a black cylinder with a white plastic circle to the right of the engine as you are looking into the boot. The one under the car is black wire.

loose connections 10 years 8 months ago #127194

Bump for the clever people to see.

loose connections 10 years 8 months ago #127202

Hi Sam,

They are "or were" for the exhaust volume control valve; which would have been on your your old exhaust on the r/h pipe outlet.

It's function is when the engine is in low rpm or low throttle openings it is closed and all the exhaust gasses have to go through all of the silencer baffles; on wider throttle openings an electrical signal from the engine ecu opens a solenoid valve which is connected to a vacuum pipe from the inlet manifold, when the valve is energised it allows the vacuum to continue down the small pipe to a diaphragm, the diaphragm deflects due to the vacuum applied which operates a lever connected to a flap in the exhaust pipe; when this flap is open it allows the exhaust gasses to by-pass some of the baffles in the silencer making the exhaust sound a tad louder when open (like the standard silencer)

This is visibly noticeable on cold days from start-up on idle when you can see exhaust gas vapour only coming from one exhaust pipe.

Your new exhaust will not have this fitted so the the vacuum pipe and wire are redundant.

It's probably better without and most who have it fitted have disconnected it.

Here is a link to more info on the exhaust volume control valve.

http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/exhaust/TF_evc.htm

Brian.

loose connections 10 years 8 months ago #127205

The only thing I will add is that the the vacuum pipe from the inlet manifold should be plugged to prevent a leak into the inlet.
Most people use a screw or similar to plug the end of the pipe.
The pipe under the expansion tank is probably the one that leads back to a little take-off pipe on the inlet manifold. Just plug it up. :yesnod:

It's possible that the little pipe take-off on the manifld has already been plugged.

Look at the manifold very close to the expansion tank.
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

loose connections 10 years 8 months ago #127239

• sam47
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Thanks for the advice guys, on the ball yet again :lol:

loose connections 10 years 8 months ago #127253

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
You've reminded me to plug mine I've not done it yet lol... Off to get a suitable plug to chuck in.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT