Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Starting problem 10 years 8 months ago #126599

Been down to the New Forrest for the weekend camping I know I'm to old to be doing that sort of thing. The last Two morning I have had a real problem starting my F had to press the throttle to the floor and it did start in the end. A chap said it sound like the cold start sensor ? is this right if so where do I find it in the engine. Or don't my F like being parked on grass in the cold lol

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Starting problem 10 years 8 months ago #126604

"coolant temp sensor"

On the K series there are 2, one supplies info to the tempreture gauge, the other to the ECU, if this is faulty the ECU may think that the engine is warm and not add enough fuel for cold starting.

If you plug a OBD2 reader into the car it will tell you what tempreture the ECU thinks the engine is at, if it is different to the dash gauge there is your problem.

Unfortunatly we've found that the F is too small for camping gear so we have to stay in hotels :( LOL

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Red Rooster

Starting problem 10 years 8 months ago #126649

Went out to the car at lunch time and it started straight away looks like it don't like being parked on grass !

Starting problem 10 years 8 months ago #126651

Went out to the car at lunch time and it started straight away looks like it don't like being parked on grass !

Is this the first time you have started the car today?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Starting problem 10 years 8 months ago #126680

Yes it was Parked it about 20.00 last night went out about 13.00 and it fired up straight away

Starting problem 10 years 8 months ago #126728

When I replace the coolant temp sensor will I loose coolant or get air in the system

Starting problem 10 years 8 months ago #126729

As soon as you remove the old sensor you will start to lose coolant. Be prepared by having the new sensor ready to screw in as soon as the old one comes out.
If you put extra coolant in the expansion tank before you start and use a handy finger to plug the leak(A la little Dutch boy) until you have the new sensor poised to insert, the loss should be minimal.
You shouldn't introduce any air, unless you've allowed the expansion tank to empty. :broon:
David
:shrug:

Starting problem 10 years 8 months ago #126731

Cheers David better keep a hacksaw handy to cut my finger off after I stick it in the hole :woohoo:

Starting problem 10 years 8 months ago #126751

Been looking up the sensors there is 2. One has a brass looking nut the other looks all plastic is there any difference, which one is better there is not a lot difference in price

Starting problem 10 years 8 months ago #126754

There are 2 temp sensors on the car, brown one is for the ecu MEK100060, the other black one gives a reading for the gauge MEK000030. It's the first one you need to change.
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Starting problem 10 years 8 months ago #126760

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
Sounds similar to my click of dooooooom. The problem has cured itself ;)

Starting problem 10 years 8 months ago #126770

Thanks David will order the the brown one and red coolant tomorrow Once again thanks for the advice

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT