Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

VVC v 135 TF 10 years 10 months ago #123448

• Mindy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Mindy
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
What is the difference between a VVC and a 135, How would I tell apart a vvc from a 135. How different is the engine, insurance, road tax etc

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Mindy.

VVC v 135 TF 10 years 10 months ago #123450

The main difference is the VVC mechanism itself. The 135 is an mpi like the F mpi(118bhp), both have the standard double camshaft single / cam belt set up.
The F VVC 143bhp), Trophy 160(158bhp) and TF 160(158bhp) all have the variable valve timing. Two piece inlet camshaft with extra mechanism, a belt at each end of the head.

So the easy way to spot them is the extra mechs on the head. The VVC also have a higher rev limit 7250 instead of 6800.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mindy, Leigh Ping

VVC v 135 TF 10 years 10 months ago #123464

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Cracking answer from David. :broon:

Regarding insurance I'd say that 160 would be a higher premium than a 135.
Depends on age really: at our great age and with full NCB the difference would be minimal, perhaps a different story for someone younger.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

VVC v 135 TF 10 years 10 months ago #123467

The TF VVC has a lower emissions rating than pre 2004 135s meaning lower vehicle excise duty and marginally better fuel consumption, however these are offset by higher insurance premiums. Essentially the daily running costs are much the same if you're a 'mature' driver. ;)

Of course if you're tendering maintenance and servicing then the VVC is marginally more expensive due to the additional mechanics.

I've owned both and I prefer the VVC*

*probably because of my inner loon. :lol: :hgf:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

VVC v 135 TF 10 years 10 months ago #123469

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
Road tax is the same for 135 and 160: £220 for year/ £121 for 6 months.
The 1.6 is 200 quid for year/110 for 6 months.

The Internet. A thing of wonder. :broon:
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Leigh Ping

VVC v 135 TF 10 years 10 months ago #123495

Hi The V V C TF also gets bigger brakes [4 pot ] on the front and it cones standard with half leather seats and the wheels are different and the F V V C had electronic steering [ all the TFs have this ]
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Last edit: Post by helsbyman.

VVC v 135 TF 10 years 10 months ago #123501

Actually it's not John. See my earlier post. :spank:

Pre 2004 135TFs have a higher vehicle excise duty than later models. ... £245 per annum IIRC.

This is because the ECU map was adjusted around late 2003 to give more economic performance over the rev range, sacrificing a miniscule amount of torque to achieve the lower emissions.

I know because I had a pre 2004TF. I had it remapped with the post 2004 spec and petitioned the DVLA about lower tax .... can you guess what their reply was ... ? :dry: :dry: :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: John and Sue

Last edit: Post by mogatrons.

VVC v 135 TF 10 years 10 months ago #123506

Hi The V V C TF also gets bigger brakes [4 pot ] on the front and it cones standard with half leather seats and the wheels are different and the F V V C had electronic steering [ all the TFs have this ]

Only some very early 1995 mgfs didnt have epas ,very rare to come across without epas terrible to steer on lock ,nice at speed and high speed corners after that vvcs and mpis all had them

VVC v 135 TF 10 years 10 months ago #123508

The main difference is the VVC mechanism itself. The 135 is an mpi like the F mpi(118bhp), both have the standard double camshaft single / cam belt set up.
The F VVC 143bhp), Trophy 160(158bhp) and TF 160(158bhp) all have the variable valve timing. Two piece inlet camshaft with extra mechanism, a belt at each end of the head.

So the easy way to spot them is the extra mechs on the head. The VVC also have a higher rev limit 7250 instead of 6800.

Correct a valuable answer

VVC v 135 TF 10 years 10 months ago #123509

Only some very early 1995 mgfs didnt have epas ,very rare to come across without epas terrible to steer on lock ,nice at speed and high speed corners after that vvcs and mpis all had them

Also some 135 mpi had RED AP CALIPERS for example 135 sprint most limited edition models either in 135 or 160 had 4 pots even the 1.6 115 sunstorm MGTF.

VVC v 135 TF 10 years 10 months ago #123564

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Actually it's not John. See my earlier post. :spank:

Pre 2004 135TFs have a higher vehicle excise duty than later models. ... £245 per annum IIRC.

This is because the ECU map was adjusted around late 2003 to give more economic performance over the rev range, sacrificing a miniscule amount of torque to achieve the lower emissions.

I know because I had a pre 2004TF. I had it remapped with the post 2004 spec and petitioned the DVLA about lower tax .... can you guess what their reply was ... ? :dry: :dry: :(

Well, that about caps all. Glad to be set straight: even road tax isn't straightforward with these cars!
So, does the same apply to 160's or are they actually cheaper than pre late 03 135's?
Frankly, I'm befuddled and glad it doesn't apply to us! :yesnod: engage Selfish Mode......
The following user(s) said Thank You: bensewell

VVC v 135 TF 10 years 10 months ago #123573

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
I think VVC means more expensive running. Remember when you need a cam belt you have to pay for 2 lots... That doubles the cost!... of the belts £15.

Personally I'd go for the VVC after hearing so many good things about them but I'm happy with my stock 135 with xpower exhaust on. Until next year when I might be allowed a remap.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT