Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Wiper problem - HELP! 10 years 10 months ago #122140

Help! Wiper problem

Driver side wiper stopped working whilst driving this afternoon, it was pouring down with rain and I struggled to drive. Pulled over but don't know where to look to get it working again. :-?

Can anyone tell me where I need to look to solve this please. Weather forecast is more rain to come so need it fixed ASAP

Thanks in advance... :broon:

Tina (Freestyle)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wiper problem - HELP! 10 years 10 months ago #122141

here's what you will need for a cheap fix

WINDSCREEN WIPER MOTOR LINKAGE REPAIR CLIP MGF MG TF ZR ZS ZT
Completed
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Freestyle

Wiper problem - HELP! 10 years 10 months ago #122142

Cheers Paul. Will go and look as soon as it stops pouring down. Thanks for link.

Tina :broon:
The following user(s) said Thank You: paulsmgf

Wiper problem - HELP! 10 years 10 months ago #122144

Tina,

There are 3 'ball joint' linkages in the wiper system - a central one and then one for each wiper arm. Sounds like the link for your driver-side wiper is the one which has come off which is good as access is easy once you have removed the big plastic cover under the bonnet. The clip that Paul has linked to you will sort out the immediate issue but for the longer term you should consider replacing the whole linkage either with the MG Rover fix available widely via eBay or one of the after market ones. I fitted a Mike Satur replacement which works well but needs quite a bit of fettling to fit. Some useful stuff here:

http://www.the-t-bar.com/en/forum/9-mgftf-pitstop/33878-wiper-motor-a-linkage-replacement-how-to#33881

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Freestyle

Last edit: Post by Blow-in.

Wiper problem - HELP! 10 years 10 months ago #122152

Tina,

There are 3 'ball joint' linkages in the wiper system - a central one and then one for each wiper arm. Sounds like the link for your driver-side wiper is the one which has come off which is good as access is easy once you have removed the big plastic cover under the bonnet. The clip that Paul has linked to you will sort out the immediate issue but for the longer term you should consider replacing the whole linkage either with the MG Rover fix available widely via eBay or one of the after market ones. I fitted a Mike Satur replacement which works well but needs quite a bit of fettling to fit. Some useful stuff here:

http://www.the-t-bar.com/en/forum/9-mgftf-pitstop/33878-wiper-motor-a-linkage-replacement-how-to#33881

Richard

Cheers Richard. Will check out first thing tomorrow as the rain has only just stopped here in sunny Swindon

Will order parts if needed. Just hope rain stay off till I get it sorted :( will update tomorrow. Cheers again for the quick response, can always relay on this place for help :broon:

Tina
The following user(s) said Thank You: Blow-in

Wiper problem - HELP! 10 years 10 months ago #122222

ordered a new wiper motor linkage rod set today hopefully get in a few days and all will be good again :broon:
The following user(s) said Thank You: paulsmgf, Blow-in

Wiper problem - HELP! 10 years 10 months ago #122235

When I did breakdowns on the motorway you would be surprised how many times I got called out when it was raining for wiper not working and in 9 times out of 10 all it was, was the nut was loose holding the arm on the splines.

Wiper problem - HELP! 10 years 10 months ago #122250

When I did breakdowns on the motorway you would be surprised how many times I got called out when it was raining for wiper not working and in 9 times out of 10 all it was, was the nut was loose holding the arm on the splines.

Wish it was as simple as that.... Looked at this morning and discovered the rod end was broke :( hoping fitting new one is easy for me

Wiper problem - HELP! 10 years 10 months ago #122825

Managed to get hold of rod ends now. So will attempt to fit tomorrow.... Wish me luck... :broon:

Wiper problem - HELP! 10 years 10 months ago #122856

Managed to get hold of rod ends now. So will attempt to fit tomorrow.... Wish me luck... :broon:

Good luck! Hopefully the 'how-to' will steer you to success.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Wiper problem - HELP! 10 years 10 months ago #122888

Good luck! Hopefully the 'how-to' will steer you to success.

Richard

It did.... thanks to that and a good mates help with the fitting i am now sorted..... :broon:

Tina
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Blow-in

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.098 seconds