Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

When's enough? 10 years 10 months ago #121435

Ok 2 breakdowns in 2 weeks

Definitely fallen out of love with the TF now.

So contemplating getting rid and stripping it of the few parts that's worth anything.

Or am I jumping the gun? Bearing in mind I've just restrained myself from unleashing on it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

When's enough? 10 years 10 months ago #121436

Think you may be jumping the gun mate.

What were the breakdowns?

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

Re:When's enough? 10 years 10 months ago #121437

Stick at it! They take a bit of perseverance and a lot of patience. They all have niggles. What's gone wrong?

When's enough? 10 years 10 months ago #121448

Same problem as last week.

Dash instrument cluster dies and the lights in there only half light up. I've had it out this evening as it started again today, mechanic friend found a loose connection before so I thought it could be that again.

However, couldn't find anything. But after sever attempts at messing with the 3 connectors behind the cluster. I noticed that sometimes all the lights come on and it fires up and stays running.

And sometimes no lights to half lights come on with usually only the Srs light working properly. Car fires up but then dies.

Hit and miss which one it does.

For to admit, I'm at a low with it and my patience is being tested. There are other problems too but it's like trying to win the lottery finding the cause of them! Knocking at the rear, the bush's are fine all round. Only over large bumps it sounds like metal on metal.

Knocking at front near side. I get a clunk when I reverse from parked (think everyone does) but I get the same noise when turning or braking also.

What with the stress at work and trying for a promotion I don't need these problems right now. I have a presentation to make for my interview next week which I had planned to carry on with tonight, but ended up trying to get car to work.

Sorry for the rant.

When's enough? 10 years 10 months ago #121450

Park it for a week and think about it. :tapfoot:
[IMG]ht[/img]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alex Sheldon

When's enough? 10 years 10 months ago #121452

That's a good idea!!

Park it up and concentrate on your promotion and when you've got that in the bag have another go at the mg.

Maybe once the stress has gone it'll seem easier to focus and sort out.

Good luck :broon:

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

When's enough? 10 years 10 months ago #121457

I'd go with the park it up and leave it a week idea if you can rather than stressing over it when you've got promotion to concentrate on.

For the metal on metal noise, check the rubber mounts on the top of the suspension struts - I had a similar noise and found the bushes were completely knackered:

When's enough? 10 years 10 months ago #121504

Cheers guys, I'm off for a few weeks over summer so I suppose it will give me something to do. I can't recall seeing any rubber mounts at the top of the rear suspension, looking from inside the grill. Possibly the culprit right there!

When's enough? 10 years 10 months ago #121520

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
As for the dash lights etc, have you checked the earth point on the bodywork where all the dash lights go to?

When's enough? 10 years 10 months ago #121619

Yeah it was clean as a whistle. Though the instruments behaved erratically in different positions when I was moving it while plugged it. I'm thinking bad connection or broken wire?

I've treated or to mister spray jets today and a full tank of petrol. I have faith in the little bugger yet!

When's enough? 10 years 10 months ago #121623

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
I'd suggest checking the main earth to the body under the bonnet and good connection of the battery -ve.
If the primary earths are $hit then even if the aux earths are good then problems can manifest.

Is the battery good? 12V, maybe 12.2V at standby, over 14 at tick over, shouldn't rise at higher revs.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

When's enough? 10 years 10 months ago #121627

• Visitor
  • Visitor
when a car casues issues its easy to say get rid of it,so when you have your cash in your hand ,what are you going to do.buy another car.you could find that one has even more issues.better the devil you know

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT