Sign In   Register

Topic

Factoids: random thing of the day 14 years 3 months ago #8888

I took my mums car for its MOT yesterday, and as i didn't know how to use the radio i listened to radio two, on it they have a bit called "factoids" full of very interesting and yet equally useless facts, figures and quotes

in that spirit and in the spirit of sharing all the random useless stuff we all collect in our noggins over the years i thought a thread where we all post useless info/quotes etc mite be fun :)

so ill start off:

When the British Army attacked Washington DC during the war of 1812, the then first lady Dolly Madison had set a banquet for 40 people. Upon hearing the British guns the white house was evacuated. The leading british elements proceeded to enjoy a sumptuous dinner before promptly torching the building

so come on lets have some utterly mad and pointless fact from you lot :D
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Factoids: random thing of the day 14 years 3 months ago #8889

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
How random do you want?

There is enough brick in the great pyramid of Gizeh to build a wall 10 feet high and 1 foot thick around the entire border of France. (I wonder if 1 foot thick would be enough though).

Or my favourite:

If you laid all the politicians end to end at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean................No one would care. :whistle:

Factoids: random thing of the day 14 years 3 months ago #8890

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Now this has to be random.

The hundred billionth crayon made by Crayola was Periwinkle Blue.

Factoids: random thing of the day 14 years 3 months ago #8892

Ooh I'll share an interesting one I learnt...

The presidential seal that is on the floor of the oval office has an eagle that in one hand has an olive branch and in the other has 13 arrows. And it is a popular misconception that the eagle normally faces towards an olive branch during times of peace and that in times of war it faces towards the arrows. :yesnod:

Factoids: random thing of the day 14 years 3 months ago #8896

How random do you want?

There is enough brick in the great pyramid of Gizeh to build a wall 10 feet high and 1 foot thick around the entire border of France. (I wonder if 1 foot thick would be enough though).

:

more to the point how do we fill it with water?... more random the better

How random do you want?

:

more to the point how do we fill it with water?... more random the better

Now this has to be random.

The hundred billionth crayon made by Crayola was Periwinkle Blue.

in true factoid fasion......................... Periwinkle Blue was the colour of mickys mam's dream caravan in Snatch
Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!

Factoids: random thing of the day 14 years 3 months ago #8898

Ooh I'll share an interesting one I learnt...

The presidential seal that is on the floor of the oval office has an eagle that in one hand has an olive branch and in the other has 13 arrows. And it is a popular misconception that the eagle normally faces towards an olive branch during times of peace and that in times of war it faces towards the arrows. :yesnod:

i like it! :D

ok a quote:

"Veni, vidi, vici" was the first words uttered by the then pro counsel and general Gaius Jullius Ceaser as he entered the Senate after taking the city of Rome

The translation is a now famous phrase "I came, I saw, I conquered"

Factoids: random thing of the day 14 years 3 months ago #8900

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

in true factoid fasion......................... Periwinkle Blue was the colour of mickys mam's dream caravan in Snatch

and the caravan of dreams is a vegan restaurant in NY.

http://www.caravanofdreams.net/ver2/reviews.htm

Factoids: random thing of the day 14 years 3 months ago #8905

and the caravan of dreams is a vegan restaurant in NY.

http://www.caravanofdreams.net/ver2/reviews.htm

New York City was the first capitol of the United states. In 1789 George Washington took his oath as president on the balcony at Federal Hall.

Factoids: random thing of the day 14 years 3 months ago #8907

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

New York City was the first capitol of the United states. In 1789 George Washington took his oath as president on the balcony at Federal Hall.

George Washington never attended any school or college, he was educated as a child by his father and brother, and also self-educated as he became an adult

Factoids: random thing of the day 14 years 3 months ago #8911

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
And the Washington family used to live just around the corner from where I used to live.

A very random fact for the Americans, because they cannot get their head around the fact that there was history before America. :)

Factoids: random thing of the day 14 years 3 months ago #8914

George Washington never attended any school or college, he was educated as a child by his father and brother, and also self-educated as he became an adult

George Washington's military rank was General, often believed to be the highest military rank attainable, this is incorrect... the highest military rank is marshal, a rank held most notably by Marshal Bernard 'Monthy' Montgomery

Factoids: random thing of the day 14 years 3 months ago #8915

And the Washington family used to live just around the corner from where I used to live.

A very random fact for the Americans, because they cannot get their head around the fact that there was history before America. :)

well they are vaguely aware that the "native amaericans" were there before them.... but they find the concept so confusing they have done their best to remove them from existence :whistle:

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT