Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Car tax. 11 years 1 month ago #109955

• DeanH's Avatar Topic Author
  • DeanH
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Can anyone advice on how near to the end of the month can you tax a car to start from the coming month if the car has been Sorn. I have looked at the DVLA site and cant seem to find the info anywhere.

I am going to look at an F sometime this week, the car is SORN, if i like the look of it I would want to bring it home on the day, however if I tax it to bring it home I will lose a months tax, the seller goes away on holiday on the 2 april until the 17th, because the 1st is bank holiday I cant do it then, so even if i left it until they are back i will be in the same situation then.

Dean
Live Life to Laugh

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Car tax. 11 years 1 month ago #109959

• David Aiketgate
  • Away
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
From what I know you can apply for an April licence from 5th March onwards. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:

Car tax. 11 years 1 month ago #109961

If the car is currently taxed you can retax from the 5th of the month before.

If it is sorned I think it is either 2 or 5 days before the end of the month so it starts in the next month.

The only cheats I know are to either use trade plates or to book, and it has to be a pre-arranged booking, for an MOT at a garage just the otherside of where you are taking the car, an insured car can be driven to an MOT even if it has no tax or MOT.

Make sure that the car is insured, your fully comp insurance will cover you to drive other cars THAT are insured by someone else. Your policy wont cover you for a car that has no insurance on it.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Car tax. 11 years 1 month ago #109975

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
My understanding is: already taxed: 5th of previous month. The disc is not valid till the 1st of the month. Eg buy on March 5, display on April 1 from midnight.
Untaxed: two days before.

I must admit, that if I've got my disc early I sometimes stick it in, but technically it's not valid until the first if the month, a hard hearted plod could do you for not displaying a valid disc.

That's my take on it any road.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Last edit: Post by John and Sue.

Car tax. 11 years 1 month ago #109977

Don't pay car tax so ain't got a scooby doo!! :nonod:

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT