Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

the heat is off 11 years 2 months ago #106852

• sam47's Avatar Topic Author
  • sam47
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Hi guys, I have touched on this subject before but still unresolved. After HGF and repair last September I cannot get any heat into the car. The last advice was check the heater matrix. Maggie was in for a service and MOT last week and I asked the garage to sort out the lack of heat at the same time.( The same garage who fixed the HGF). They dropped the coolant and re-filled and bled all 3 to clear any air pockets. They also checked and cleared the heater matrix. The water temp is up to normal and never goes over the half way mark on the gauge. But all i get is warm air passing through the heater vents on the dash.

Garage thinks it could be a thermostat issue. They haven't charged me for this extra work and they are an experienced MG garage. Maggie hasn't been out much over the winter so was wondering maybe she could do with a good blast :yesnod:

Need the heater sorted coz wor lass isnt keen to go topless without the heater full blast. :nonod:

Help needed for a lonely driver :-?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

the heat is off 11 years 2 months ago #106894

OK you need to approach this logically. Get the car up to temperature and remove the ashtray.
If you put your hand in there you'll feel the heater pipes. Are they hot -luke warm- cool, one hot one cold?:shrug:

Feel the underfloor pipes are they hot/ cold. one of each?:shrug:

Be careful because the pipes can get very hot!

It's not a 160 is it?
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

the heat is off 11 years 2 months ago #106895

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

the heat is off 11 years 2 months ago #106898

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.

OK you need to approach this logically. Get the car up to temperature and remove the ashtray.
If you put your hand in there you'll feel the heater pipes. Are they hot -luke warm- cool, one hot one cold?:shrug:

Feel the underfloor pipes are they hot/ cold. one of each?:shrug:

Be careful because the pipes can get very hot!

It's not a 160 is it?

David A's ashtray test. I was trying to remember what to look for!
Good stuff.
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

the heat is off 11 years 2 months ago #106900

;) :whistle:
David
:shrug:

the heat is off 11 years 2 months ago #106920

• sam47
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Thanks Guys, David she is a 135. I will check the pipes today, in between the snow showers :( . Can i get back to you?
Leigh, not sure if I have the confidence or the savvy to follow your link, but your comment helps if i have to take her back to the garage.

Now if you ask me to run a print company with 80 staff and a few million pounds of litho/digital presses thats a different matter. Use a screw driver...mmmmm :nonod: oh and a soldering iron, electrics aaaahhh. :omg:

the heat is off 11 years 2 months ago #106928

has it got a thernostat or is it a prt on a 04 plate

the heat is off 11 years 2 months ago #106934

• sam47
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Hi Tracy, when the HG went the garage did mention that the thermostat had been removed. I bought the car from a local garage. The mechanic ( different Garage ) who fixed the HG did mention that removing the thermostat was common practice before cars were sold on ( allegedly ) Not sure why. So I had a new thermostat installed.
I did remind the mechanic about the thermostat, this obviously got him thinking there could be a link and he would get advice. Meanwhile I thought I would contact the experts on T Bar. :broon:

Going to check out my pipes.

Steve.

the heat is off 11 years 2 months ago #106935

weren't sure what year they swapped them our 52 plates don't have them but my sunspot does which is a my04

does the middle heater knob turn smoothly? some one else might describe this better but sometimes the mechanism on the pipe behind the centre console doesnt work properly
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

the heat is off 11 years 2 months ago #106938

Leigh, not sure if I have the confidence or the savvy to follow your link, but your comment helps if i have to take her back to the garage.

Now if you ask me to run a print company with 80 staff and a few million pounds of litho/digital presses thats a different matter. Use a screw driver...mmmmm :nonod: oh and a soldering iron, electrics aaaahhh. :omg:

I said the same thing myself two years ago Steve. :lol:

In elimination, if you did buy a new one of these we could walk you through it. Or, if you could get to a meet, it's probably a ten minute job for someone with the experience to do it. Alternatively, I'll walk you through it with pics because, having done this job myself, I know it's pretty easy. Just a few screws and a pull off plug. Do your blowers work on all 4 speeds?

The guide for Tracy's suggestion (Pendle lass) was done by Clive (CJJ) on another site. Click here to read it.

I've done that job too. It's awkward but do-able for a novice. :yesnod:

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

the heat is off 11 years 2 months ago #106939

• sam47
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer

weren't sure what year they swapped them our 52 plates don't have them but my sunspot does which is a my04

does the middle heater knob turn smoothly? some one else might describe this better but sometimes the mechanism on the pipe behind the centre console doesnt work properly

Maggie is an 04. Will check my knob :whistle:

the heat is off 11 years 2 months ago #106940

Maggie is an 04. Will check my knob :whistle:

i knew this would go downhill rapidly lol

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT