Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Emissions Fail 11 years 2 months ago #103053

Just a quick one.....when i put my f through the MOT it almost failed as they have one test for petrol and diesel cars like a one test fits all. however they have an option to put your exact vehicle make and model in. when he done this it flew through. it will be worth asking if he put your exact vehicle in instead of just the one type fits all.

Petrol engines have an emissions analysis.
Diesel engines have a smoke density test.

Completely different tests, not to be confused with each other. Asking for AET vs BET data as shown above reveals the tests are marginally different.

Farting about for AET data (it's not as simple as just year, make and model, normally it involves cleaning the engine block to locate various numbers)is a ballache no tester wants.

If the car can't pass the lenient " Basic Emissions Test" there is something going on....

Regards,
Andy
The following user(s) said Thank You: KentJohn

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by benham.

Re: Emissions Fail 11 years 2 months ago #103054

Also check the tiny vacuum pipe going from the ecu along the rear of the engine compartment. It rubs on the oil filler bracket and gets holed... Meg failed once three times despite new gaskets and a cat and it turned out to be that! A bit of shrink wrap fixed it!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Emissions Fail 11 years 2 months ago #103059

John, be very careful driving it til it's fixed and mot'd. In the eyes of the law and your insurer, it's not roadworthy. A bit of a grey area, and no real problems unless you have any sort of incident, just thought I'd mention it.

Tim, its legally MOT'd until the 23rd so it wouldnt matter if he had an incident as surely this isnt a 'safety' thing? I can understand maybe if it was brake negligence or something...
An mot is only really valid on the day its done... how many people here replace their standard cat for an MOT and to remove it before the day is done :broon:

Ill be doing a cat change come... whenever my MOT is... hmm must look that up actually :)

Emissions Fail 11 years 2 months ago #103827

• KentJohn's Avatar Topic Author
  • KentJohn
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
  • Rediscovering driving
Thanks for all the advice and thoughts :hugs:

Had emissions rechecked after sorting exhaust manifold gasket - still a fail :sick:

So today, I have fitted a new Cat, and it sailed through :woohoo: 0% CO 13ppm HC and Lambda 1.01 :bust:

All ready for a spring and summer of MG outings!! :woohoo:
Life is not a rehearsal - carpe diem!

Emissions Fail 11 years 2 months ago #103835

• John and Sue
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • 06 TF 135. One of the last from Longbridge.
Glad its finally sorted: happy driving! :drive:
It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Emissions Fail 11 years 2 months ago #103838

Excellent! :broon: Was that the original cat that had failed, John?
David
:shrug:

Emissions Fail 11 years 2 months ago #103846

Get your old cat weighed in at the scrap yard and get a few pounds back. Its well worth it.

Emissions Fail 11 years 2 months ago #103916

• KentJohn's Avatar Topic Author
  • KentJohn
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
  • Rediscovering driving

Excellent! :broon: Was that the original cat that had failed, John?

Just checked the service records I have - apparently it was replaced in 2008! :whistle:
Life is not a rehearsal - carpe diem!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT