Sign In   Register

Topic

Let's agree to disagree 11 years 6 months ago #80515

There seems to be an increasing amount of heated debate in here around the look of people's personal cars.
Whilst I don't think we've hit the lows of trolling it doesn't make particularly nice reading.

I think what we have is a couple of different camps in terms of modifying/refurbishing/rebuilding/improving/all of the above*

Whilst some people want to make their cars as eye-catching and individual as possible, others prefer the stock look. Some people want a rip-snorting track weapon, others a relaxed cruiser. Tastes and budgets vary and how much or little someone spends on their car is surely their own business and between them and their bank manager/spouse/partner/significant other/children who's inheritance is being spent*.

In the end it's all a matter of opinion and no one individual's opinion matters more than anyone else's except when it's an owner's opinion of their own car.

I'm not, by any means, suggesting we stop commenting on people's cars but let's always apply a bit of common curtesy and manners.

This is my personal opinion and as a mere regular member I expect a mod will be along to slap my wrists/delete the thread/ban me* but I just felt it needed to be said.

*delete where applicable :)
Back with front wheel drive and 181HP at the wheels :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: bacchus, mogatrons, Leigh Ping, bensewell, Whiz, petetf160, cruisingkerry
The topic has been locked.

Re: Let's agree to disagree 11 years 6 months ago #80521

• bacchus
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Food, Photography & Little British Sports Cars
I agree with you andy, well said. :broon:

Re: Let's agree to disagree 11 years 6 months ago #80522

Whilst I do agree.

If you pipe up saying you've got 900hp from your vvc and all you've fitted is a air-filter, expect some questions ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, bensewell

Re: Let's agree to disagree 11 years 6 months ago #80524

I agree with everything said.

Think there's recently been a few posts verging on passive aggressive and even just reading them from the comfort of my own home it makes me uneasy and if they had been directed at me I'd probably have thought twice about posting anything up ever again!

I think treat others how you'd want to be treated yourself and if you disagree with something either keep it to yourself or find a "diplomatic" or tactful way of doing it.
Re-read the post your about to submit to a thread and then imagine it was aimed at you....
The following user(s) said Thank You: bacchus, andy1970h, Leigh Ping, bensewell

Let's agree to disagree 11 years 6 months ago #80530

I agree with everything that's been said, I think if someone has spent a lot of time and money on their car it's not for anyone to criticise. People can have an opinion but they should keep it to themselves if it is going to be anything less than flattering.

I also agree with John, that if you make wild exaggerated bhp claims you are leaving yourself wide open for questioning.
If a jobs worth doing, it's worth overdoing

Re: Let's agree to disagree 11 years 6 months ago #80532

Opinions don't need to be belligerent, harsh or agitative. If you've been overly constructive, exuberant or enthusiastic in your rants, you can always say sorry. My son was third in line to a purple, 1litre, nissan micra after my 2 daughters had it (great car tbh). When he put a spoiler on it and a stereo worth more than the car itself, it was hard work not to be negative. But we managed to pull it off.. Just about. Nobody likes the jam to be taken out of their doughnut. :whistle:

I still hate all you blingers though. :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bacchus

Let's agree to disagree 11 years 6 months ago #80533

I still hate all you blingers though. :lol:

Couldn't agree more, cant stand all that shiny stuff, so crass.
If a jobs worth doing, it's worth overdoing
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: Let's agree to disagree 11 years 6 months ago #80535

There are always going to be differences between those who want to take a stock car and make sympathetic improvements and those who go for the more pimped look but in the end we're all driving a cracking British sportscar.

I personally think we should be out hunting chavs with hounds ;) so that probably shows which camp I'm in but that doesn't stop me being in awe of the time and effort that some people put into their cars even if, in my humble opinion, it ends up looking like Katie Price's jewellery box.

When it comes to wild exaggerations about power outputs then that's different. That's just Malecowpatting and deserves all the scrutiny it gets :)

I also have to add that there are some things that I see done on here that I'd love to do to my TF but they would result in me being divorced and/or castrated so I keep quiet :lol:
Back with front wheel drive and 181HP at the wheels :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: bacchus, Leigh Ping
Last edit: Post by andy1970h.

Re: Let's agree to disagree 11 years 6 months ago #80538

• Visitor
  • Visitor
as a car rebuilder we will always rebuild a car to the customers tastes,we will advise them and help them,Our aim is to keep as many of these cars on the road as we can,be able to rebuild customers cars and also build cars for customers in the style and taste they want.
If someone wanted a pink car with green seats,we would advise them that it would be difficult to resell but if that is what they would really want we would.
We dont expect people to love other peoples taste,hence why there are so many differant cars and colours on the road.I dont like black cars but I would never be rude to someone who has a black car and say its crap and they are stupid for buying one that colour.
Some people may not like the colour of anticlus but its a reborn car and the membership now has a new member.
we have two choices either encourage new cars and members or block them and see the membership figures and car ownership go down.
The mg car club love the new car as does the customer and that is all that matters

Re: Let's agree to disagree 11 years 6 months ago #80541

• bacchus
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Food, Photography & Little British Sports Cars
My passion is on track performance, the thing that limits that is my budget. I have no idea what the BHP is and to be honest I don't care, what counts for me is track times. That does not mean I cannot appreciate a well turned our car with heaps of mods or a really pristine stock car. If the owner is happy with their car thats what counts. I was taught that if you cannot say anything nice don't say anything. I believe this is even more important in a forum/email/online etc since :lol: or ;) does not make up for the other facets of human communication. I'm not a talented enough wordsmith to always my exact thoughts/feelings through the written word so I usually choose not to comment. If I have offended I apologise as it is never my intent.

Re: Let's agree to disagree 11 years 6 months ago #80544

No. I'd better not. :oops:

All good points so far. :)
Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Re: Let's agree to disagree 11 years 6 months ago #80545

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Exactly.

We don't have to become a simpering, back patting group MG lovers, but I think the main word here is respect, or respek, depending on your age. ;)

You don't have to like everything, but why tell someone you don't like it? Does it make you feel better?

You can try and guide someone in the early stages by saying things like "I'm not sure I would go for that colour scheme", but at the end of the day, if the owner wants to do it, let's give them support.

I often find the worlds criticisers are the ones who are least likely to take criticism themselves.
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT