Sign In   Register

Topic

Great driving roads in the lake district 11 years 8 months ago #70431

Hi all
The good lady and myself are going on a road trip from Portsmouth to the Lake district without using any motorways :woohoo:
Leaving next sunday overnighting in Derby to see friends and then heading on up to the lakes :beer:
So does anyone know of any roads in the lakes that will get the best out of the MGTF (keeping to the speed limits of course)
Will be our first holiday in the MG looking forward to it so much fitted the new boot rack today.:woohoo:
Cheers
TG

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Great driving roads in the lake district 11 years 8 months ago #70435

'The struggle' up to the Kirkstone pass inn and down the other side is worth a look. It's quite close to Ambleside and Windermere. Give the idyllic village of Windermere a look while you're at it.

Re: Great driving roads in the lake district 11 years 8 months ago #70439

So many! such little time!

Depends on where about's you're heading.

Re: Great driving roads in the lake district 11 years 8 months ago #70440

Keswick, down the Borrowdale valley, over Honister Pass, down passed Buttermere - and Crummock Water back towards Cockermouth. Beautiful.
Or, after Buttermere, turn right in Buttermere village and head back towards Keswick over Newlands Pass. Both routes are spectacular!
David
:shrug:

Re: Great driving roads in the lake district 11 years 8 months ago #70445

Going for the week got a caravan booked on a site on the shore of lake windermere cant wait :woohoo:

Re: Great driving roads in the lake district 11 years 8 months ago #70450

Sounds good, I hope you have some decent weather!

The Cumbrian pedant in me forces me to tell you that it's called Windermere. Mere means body of water, so effectively Lake Windermere mean Winder's lake, Lake.:yesnod:
only one called Lake in the Lake District and that's Bassenthwaite Lake.
Every other is a Mere or a Water or a Tarn.
So Thirl mere
Butter mere
Wast Water
Crummock Water
Red Tarn
and the fantasticaly named Innominate Tarn (in other words Tarn that has no name.:lol:)

OY wake up when I'm educating you!:bust:
David
The following user(s) said Thank You: mogatrons, PQD44, Tahiti gra

Re: Great driving roads in the lake district 11 years 8 months ago #70479

Every day's a school day! :yesnod:

You appeal to the inner pedant in me...... :lol:

Re: Great driving roads in the lake district 11 years 8 months ago #70483

Answer your pm, Jeff!:yesnod:
David

Re: Great driving roads in the lake district 11 years 8 months ago #70484

From the town of Windermere itself take the A592 North over Kirkstone pass and alongside Ullswater.

Aira Force is a decent stop off alongside Ullswater, about a 1/2 mile trek from the car park but well worth the walk, the cafe there is owned by a polish couple and has some decent food!

End of the A592 at the roundabout there's a place called the Rheged center, nice place for a coffee.

Go east at the roundabout for 2 roundabouts till you reach the A686 (Hartside pass) at the top of the climb there's a bikers cafe, nice stop off for a few pics if the weather is fine.

Just before Alston take the A689 north to Brampton, if you miss this road you can always continue to Haydon Bridge and turn onto the A69 west there.

At this point you can continue into Carlisle for a mooch around or as a short cut back or...

Take the A6071 at Brampton north/east to Longtown and through onto Gretna, visitor centre there has a Starbucks.

From here take the M6 south till you hit junction 44, there is a new bypass opened up that will take you around Carlisle as apposed to through it and is much recommended!

Once you hit the roundabout with the turnoff onto the A595 continue straight over down "Peter Lane" till you get to the B5299 follow this road west through Dalston onto Caldbeck, there are a few nice places in Caldbeck for a coffee or coke and if you can find the "watermill cafe" it has some nice food!

Continue on the B5299 to Mealsgate, turn west and take the A69 to Bothel, here turn south on the A591.

At the roundabout near Keswick take the A66 west till you get to Braithwaite and the B5292, take the B5292 over Whinlatter pass, the visitor center here is a nice spot for coffee, however Luchini's ice cream van in the lay by just at the top of the first big climb is a nice spot for a few photo's overlooking the valley.

Continue west on the B5292 till you hit the B5289 heading south, take this road past Buttermere and over Honister pass there's a slate mine at the top of this pass which is a decent stop off. All the way past Derwentwater to the end at Keswick.

Turn right, through Keswick on the A5271 east till you hit the A591 south, this road will take you past Thirlmere, Grasmere, Rydal water and back to Windermere itself. Grasmere town is worth a nosy round, very touristy but quite a few cafe's.

A long run but on a decent day with the sun out you'll never want it to stop!
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44, Leigh Ping, Tahiti gra

Re: Great driving roads in the lake district 11 years 8 months ago #70516

The roads in the Lake District were made for F's

Where ever you drive I'm sure you'll love the view B)

Re: Great driving roads in the lake district 11 years 8 months ago #70525

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
TG you are in for a real treat, the MGF/TF is the perfect car for the roads of the Lake District.

A full week to enjoy them too :woohoo:

Re: Great driving roads in the lake district 11 years 8 months ago #70550

• Visitor
  • Visitor

Sounds good, I hope you have some decent weather!

The Cumbrian pedant in me forces me to tell you that it's called Windermere. Mere means body of water, so effectively Lake Windermere mean Winder's lake, Lake.:yesnod:
only one called Lake in the Lake District and that's Bassenthwaite Lake.
Every other is a Mere or a Water or a Tarn.
So Thirl mere
Butter mere
Wast Water
Crummock Water
Red Tarn
and the fantasticaly named Innominate Tarn (in other words Tarn that has no name.:lol:)

OY wake up when I'm educating you!:bust:

Fascinating ;)

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT