Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: Electric window not working drivers side 11 years 7 months ago #69403

no!! It was playing up a little, intermittent on working when I pressed the button, almost like a connection problem. Had the motor and complete unit replaced a few months ago as the window had stuck in the half way down position

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Electric window not working drivers side 11 years 7 months ago #69404

Hi Elaine. Let's go through what you've done logically.

You can discount anything that feeds both windows because one works.:broon:

You've swapped switches and they both work on the left side, so the switches are OK.:broon:

You've swapped fuses and both windows stop working, put them back and the left hand window works. So we know that the fuse in the right hand position has blown. :(

Because the right window still didn't work with the good fuse in we know there is also another problem.

We really need to check if there is power to the fuse position F5 in the fusebox.

Do you have and know how to use a multimeter?
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Electric window not working drivers side 11 years 7 months ago #69411

no sorry i don't have one

Re: Electric window not working drivers side 11 years 7 months ago #69413

Where are you based? Somebody may be local enough to pop around with a meter and check if there is power to that fuse position.

There are a few possibilities, I had a case where the plug in the back of the switch was not making a good contact, and showed everything you have tried so far.
The fuse might not be making a good contact in the fusebox.
The wiring to the window motor might be faulty, or its plug connector to the motor.
Or it could be the motor?
David

Re: Electric window not working drivers side 11 years 7 months ago #69416

hi David, I live in oxfordshire, but work in Aston Sandford not far from Thame Oxfordshire. I will see if my local garage could quickly test it shouldn't take long should it? It has been internittantly working, but completely dead now. When I had the motor and complete arm inside fitted two months ago, it made a wurring noise as the window was stuck half way down as the teeth had sheered. But now when you press switch it is just dead. It is definately a connection problem I would say, unless the motor was faulty.

Re: Electric window not working drivers side 11 years 7 months ago #69425

One thing you could do is to replace the blown fuse. If you look at the fuse, they are transparent so you can see where it is blown. Put a good fuse in and turn the ignition on, if you hear a little crack, the fuse has blown again. You have a short in the live feed to the fuse.
Turn off and check the fuse, if it's still OK put it back, turn on the ignition and try to use the window switch.

Check the fuse again, if it has blown you have a short somewhere in the window circuit.

If the fuse is still good, but the window still doesn't work, then there is a fault in the motor or in the switch plug.

You would be better to find an auto electrician rather than a garage, they will probably be quicker and cheaper.

Unless anybody reading this is in the area that could help you out.:shrug:
David

Re: Electric window not working drivers side 11 years 7 months ago #69429

thanks David. But wouldn't the F4 fuse I swapped have worked in F5 if this was the case as F4 works. Also, when I swapped the switches, drivers side works in passenger side, so not switches. But I will try what you suggest, but I does sound like a shortage, I will get it tested first though and go from there, I'll let you know how I get on and what the problem was.

Re: Electric window not working drivers side 11 years 7 months ago #69435

That's true, yes. You tried the window with a good fuse and it didn't blow, so that suggests a fault in the plug that goes into the back of the switch, a fault in the wiring to the motor, or a dead motor.
David

Re: Electric window not working drivers side 11 years 7 months ago #69452

When my drivers window failed I checked the motor and mechanism out by getting 12v and earth and connecting them one way then the other direct to the motor. It wound the window smoothly up and down eliminating problems there.
Since the switch worked on the passenger side and the fuses were OK it had to be the BCU. My car has the notorious Plecktron one, but yours may have the Rover ECU in the footwell in front of the drivers door under the carpet. You could unplug it and short across the pins to check if thats your problem If you can live without one touch down eliminating it is a free way to regain control of the glass.
I think you have the circuit posted above but ask if you need it.
I'm near High Wycombe so possible to get here but maybe further than you would like.

Last edit: Post by Stan_B.

Re: Electric window not working drivers side 11 years 7 months ago #69467

Hi David me again!!!. Took car into local garage lunchtime, he put new fuse in (no charge) tested all ok. But he could now hear the motor trying to wurr away and every time he pressed the window switch the lights on the speedometer dimmed, so he has said it is a faulty motor so I am having the hassle of giving it back to Car Spares Direct and hoping they will send me a new motor, if not I will just get my money back and look for a second hand one.

Thanks once again for all your help!!!

I might be looking for a motor if I get no joy.

Re: Electric window not working drivers side 11 years 7 months ago #69471

Hi Elaine,
MGFnTFBits are the people for good second hand spares service! :yesnod:
David
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping. Reason: link inserted :)

Re: Electric window not working drivers side 11 years 7 months ago #69820

Hi David

Spoke to them yesterday and they are sending me window motor to arrive today, so thanks for that. I spoke to Car Spares Direct and they said that I would have to dismantle old window arm and motor and send back to them before they would issue a refund at my expense, so thought it cheaper just to have motor replaced instead. Is replacing the motor something I could do or would they have to do it? I haven't had much luck with this door window.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT