Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Reverse light switch 11 years 8 months ago #65137

A quick question I probably already know the answer to but.....

When I press the plunger on the reverse light switch, should I get continuity through the wires?

I know, its a switch, close the contacts and.....

The only reason I ask is that is brand new (well a year old but just taken out the wrapper and fitted today) surely I haven't been ripped off by flea bay :bang:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Reverse light switch 11 years 8 months ago #65139

I would say yes, mate. Either way, continuity should alter with the plunger pressed.
David
:shrug:

Re: Reverse light switch 11 years 8 months ago #65149

Thanks David, I knew that was the case but with so much going wrong on this project I was hoping something as simple as fitting a new switch would be, well, simple.

Another new one ordered :rant:

Re: Reverse light switch 11 years 8 months ago #65167

When my reverse lights stopped working, I found that the end of the plunger had worn so that it wasn't depressed enough to complete the circuit. There was a thin washer on the switch that I removed and that extended the end of the plunger enough to work again.:shrug:
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Reverse light switch 11 years 8 months ago #65194

When mine failed even a new switch didn't fix the problem, so the part in the gearbox that depresses the switch must be worn.

I removed the washer and then used PTFE tape to ensure a good seal. That was over 12 months ago and it's still fine ;)

Re: Reverse light switch 11 years 8 months ago #65274

Thanks guys but I tested it out of the gear box and pushed the plunger manually. Definitely a dud.

I should have done that first, it being a new switch I assumed it was working and tried the usual problem areas of tracing a fault in the loom then adjusting the gear cables at the crank first. All in all a wasted couple of hours.

Reverse light switch 11 years 8 months ago #65404

Well if you need another switch, I have one you can have. I'll double check the continuity, but it was just fine when I tested it 2 months ago
The following user(s) said Thank You: davmor

Re: Reverse light switch 11 years 8 months ago #65460

Thanks Mal, saw this a bit late though and ordered one yesterday, it will be here tomorrow :(

Very kind though and I greatly appreciate the offer

Reverse light switch 11 years 8 months ago #65470

No problem :-) hope you get it sorted this time

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT