Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Odd Wiper Problem 11 years 8 months ago #63338

Another cry for help I'm afraid -

My wiper motor recently died due to the usual water ingress problem. I stripped it down, cleaned out the motor, refitted the shaft bearing and even re greased to the gear mechanism. I Tested it with a 12volt supply and it turned perfectly, certainly quieter than I'd ever heard it in the past.

However on refitting it to the car I hit a couple of problems:

1. Before refitting I plugged in the loom and found the motor only spins on the highest setting. Nothing on pull down, washer, intermittent or slow.

I'm assuming (but it's just a guess) if the motor turns when power is sent then the non operating issue on the other settings could be a problem with the stalk/relay/MFU?

2. With the wiper arms off, the spindles appear to operate normally moving through about a quarter turn from 3 o'clock to just shy of 12 and when switched off they park at the 3 o'clock position as they should. However when I put the wiper arms back on and operate the switch it drags the wiper down onto the scuttle panel and jams.

Am I missing something when I reconnect the linkage? The wiper arms have been off the car for a while so I didn't have chance to mark their normal position but I positioned them using pictures from the forum. Also it seems odd that the spindle changes direction only when you add the weight of the wiper arm. :-?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Odd Wiper Problem 11 years 8 months ago #63400

Did you have the arm off the motor ?
Is it back on correctly? The position of the arm on the motor spindle is critical.
David
:shrug:

Re: Odd Wiper Problem 11 years 8 months ago #63401

Yeah the arm was off but back on in the right position. The motor was run and switched off so it parked itself properly then the arm was connected where the spindle hit the bottom of its rotation.

Another forum member thinks the switch issue maybe the bushes so I'm going to strip it down again tonight and clean up the part of the shaft they contact. Failing that I think it'll be a new motor :nonod:

Re: Odd Wiper Problem 11 years 8 months ago #63402

Yeah, I cleaned out my motor, there wasn't a lot of water in there, but I regreased it and rebuilt it all. Now the fast speed is a bit hit and miss.:shrug:
David

Re: Odd Wiper Problem 11 years 8 months ago #63404

Mine was sat for a about 18 months, it took a small crowbar to get the body off and there is a line of corrosion that shows it was at least half full of water at some point. I almost wrote it off on the spot but its not going to be back on the road for a month or so now so I thought I'd give it a go. Worst thing that can happen is I still end up forking out for a new one

Re: Odd Wiper Problem 11 years 8 months ago #64091

Well that's that. took the rotor out earlier and one of the brushes just crumbled to nothing. Now in the bin (except the connector) and a new Land Rover one ordered. :rant:

Re: Odd Wiper Problem 11 years 8 months ago #64099

Ah, that explains a lot!:yesnod:
David

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT