Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MY ONLY NIGGLE. 11 years 9 months ago #61081

Noisey doors!
When ever I give someone a ride in my MGF I shudder when the doors are closed. It sounds so tinny.
I remember when I had my Herald ,closing the door sounded as if I dropped my toolbox.
The MG is not as bad as that. I transformed the crash of the Herald doors to a rich clunk and I intend doing the same with my MG.
This involved fitting acoustic insulation to the inside of the doors.
Is it just my car or is everyone else's the same?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: MY ONLY NIGGLE. 11 years 9 months ago #61083

nope everytime the other half shuts the door i duck lol..

Freestyle and TF for Sale Mk1 work in progress, well it never stops does it lol

Re: MY ONLY NIGGLE. 11 years 9 months ago #61087

I shudder whenever I watch this video of my youngest daughter clunking the door too (in the first few seconds). :pinch:

The following user(s) said Thank You: ianovic

Re: MY ONLY NIGGLE. 11 years 9 months ago #61095

Ive put some sound proof in mine still sounds bad

Re: MY ONLY NIGGLE. 11 years 9 months ago #61208

Love that closing the hood. Think I'll need to go down to the gym first!! LOL
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: MY ONLY NIGGLE. 11 years 9 months ago #61226

This is something I've been thinking about. My 1996 MPiwith 92,000 miles has very solid sounding doors. I think it is due to either poorly adjusted latches or worn hinge bushes. (Even though there is no obvious sagging) I also sometimes get the machine gun sound on the passenger door lock.
My 1997 VVC has very tinny sounding doors, I think it's because they are adjusted perfectly with no wear (only 30,000-ish miles on it) I may just try some Dynamat inside the doors to see if that helps.

Re: MY ONLY NIGGLE. 11 years 9 months ago #61852

:( I have just spent over an hour fitting sound absorbing material to my driver's door. There was no deadening at all on the door skin.
Does the door now close with the opulant sound of a Rolls Royce? Well er........ not exactly.
Would I spend another hour doing the passenger's door?
I don't think so. The improvement was marginal, almost imperceptible!
Oddly enough, sounds much better when the hood is up.
When I pulled the door card off, a number of the plastic retaining clips were missing.
Would anyone know where I could buy these? I've scoured the internet to no avail

Re: MY ONLY NIGGLE. 11 years 9 months ago #61853

The following user(s) said Thank You: ianovic

Re: MY ONLY NIGGLE. 11 years 9 months ago #61895

When I pulled the door card off, a number of the plastic retaining clips were missing.
Would anyone know where I could buy these? I've scoured the internet to no avail

Rimmers.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re: MY ONLY NIGGLE. 11 years 9 months ago #61899

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

:( I have just spent over an hour fitting sound absorbing material to my driver's door. There was no deadening at all on the door skin.
Does the door now close with the opulant sound of a Rolls Royce? Well er........ not exactly.
Would I spend another hour doing the passenger's door?
I don't think so. The improvement was marginal, almost imperceptible! ...

Was hoping for better news from your trial ianovic :dry: Sorry to hear your hard work did not get the desired result.

I too like my F a lot and am proud to own it but like you when the doors shut :pinch: I cringe and hope no one else heard it :oops:

Come on F'ers has anyone found a way to improve the sound when closing doors?

Would it help putting a new rubber seal on the inside of the door frame? Did the doors on the F sound this tinny when new? What are the doors on the new TF like?

Last edit: Post by PQD44.

Re: MY ONLY NIGGLE. 11 years 9 months ago #62087

Well, I have had a another, perhaps more analytical look at my doors.
I note the drivers door hinge is slightly worn. This results in the lock hitting the striker first and lifting the door very slightly. So this is contributing to noise. However to correct this would involve moving the upper hinge slightly forward and as far as I can see would mean taking the door off to get access to the hinge bolts.
However it appears to me that the noise is a combination of movement from the various parts within the door ie lock, window, locking button and linkages. So it seems to me it would be a case of identifying each of those little bits of play and finding a way to eliminate the play.
I have also found that one very simple way to reduce the noise is how you close the doors.
All too often we tend to slam them a bit when all that is necessary is a soft pull. I find they close very easily.
I have ordered up new door card retaining clips so when they arrive I will have a serious look to see if I can improve things.

Re: MY ONLY NIGGLE. 11 years 9 months ago #62090

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
My old mini had more rattles that I got used to

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT