Sign In   Register

Topic

Re: Spoiler guide - MGF 11 years 9 months ago #59885

• Visitor
  • Visitor
I will go and have another look when her cover comes off, as I know Kev took it back off to do some adjustments :yesnod:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Spoiler guide - MGF 11 years 9 months ago #59910

Yes Kev 'Dunga' is going to fill those gaps, on Jans car, with silicon sealant. :)

Generally though, it's a good point that Paul is pointing out. Gaps and wobbles, who needs them! :lol:

does anyone know how the lad fettling the electronic Audi TT spoiler got on?

This one Darren?

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Re: Spoiler guide - MGF 11 years 9 months ago #59968

A bit like an air-brake innit?
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44

Re: Spoiler guide - MGF 11 years 9 months ago #59969

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Rich you got it all wrong, it's for use with a tail wind to help improve fuel efficiency.

That active spoiler is very interesting, but there are better ways to cure the gap between the spoiler and support problem...file the support down to fit before you paint it :bust:

Re: Spoiler guide - MGF 11 years 9 months ago #59970

That active spoiler is very interesting

:lol: It's quite an easy mod to do once you know how it works from inside. :lol:

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Re: Spoiler guide - MGF 11 years 9 months ago #59971

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Re: Spoiler guide - MGF 11 years 9 months ago #59972

This one, the curve matches our boot lid perfectly, someone had one fitted and working on a red MGF last year, I know because I worked on the car in Birmingham, just not seen anything of it again.

Might have to get myself a boot lid and have a crack at it myself.

Re: Spoiler guide - MGF 11 years 7 months ago #66106

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
Having recently fitted the Trophy style rear spoiler from Car Style Plus[/u], I found the spoiler delivered did need quite a bit of preparation work doing.

The two support legs are a very poor fit to the underside of the spoiler. The spoiler surface is not perfectly flat but has some 'waves'. The amount of prep work is higher than I would expect and was far more than I have needed on similar items in the past.

Despite the work on the two supports to get them to fit without gaps and following the instructions given by Rich, after the first fit I was still unhappy with the space around the supports where they met the underside of the spoiler.

I glued them to the spoiler whilst in position on the boot and then went back inside and used body filler to blend them so they look like they are all one piece. It did make final fitting a little more difficult but was well worth the extra time.

I had noticed on some peoples rear spoilers that you could see the reflection of the casting info in the paintwork of the car, so I sanded these off the underside of the spoiler before painting. It was also needed as I wanted to fit the stripes to the underside of the spoiler and hence needed it to be smooth.

The underside of the spoiler also has indentations where the original Trophy Style spoiler had additional supports near the outer edges. If you want a perfect finish it may be worth filling these also before painting.

After many hours of prep work the spoiler needed

1 x 500ml can of Grey Primer (£7.49 each)
3 x 300ml cans of Paint (£6.49 each)
2 x 500ml cans of Clear Lacquer (£7.49 each)

I used Halfords products and was happy with the finish and colour match, but not the price, which came to nearly £42.

So if you are considering fitting one of these spoilers bear in mind the time and additional costs.

Last edit: Post by PQD44.

Re: Spoiler guide - MGF 11 years 7 months ago #66108

• Visitor
  • Visitor
PQ let me know if you notice a rise in fuel consumption now you have the boot spoiler on please

Re: Spoiler guide - MGF 11 years 7 months ago #66112

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
I would not at all be surprised if there is a rise in fuel consumption, I did assume that would be one of the consequences of fitting the rear spoiler.

I do not keep any records of fuel consumption, quite frankly after most of the gas guzzling cars I have had in the past the MGF is very good, so I never gave it a second thought.

If anyone has any before / after figures please feel free to add them below :broon:

Re: Spoiler guide - MGF 11 years 7 months ago #66115

• Visitor
  • Visitor
I was getting 40 to 45 to the gallon, sorry I cannot do litres :oops:

i have worked out that I am now getting around 38 to 42 :pinch:

At first I thought it was me comparing full tank prices to earlier in the year, but yes I have noticed a rise, that would be the extra weight ? or the drag factor ?

Re: Spoiler guide - MGF 11 years 7 months ago #66121

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
That will mostly be down to the extra drag and will effect your fuel consumption more the faster you drive.

So around town there will not be much of a change, but on motorway journeys I would expect to see a rise in fuel consumption.

It's like when you stick your hand out of the car window, when going slow you don't feel much, but on the motorway, you need to work hard to keep your arm from being forced back, that force is slowing the car down, so you need extra fuel for the same speed.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edit: Post by PQD44.
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT