Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Alternator Problem 11 years 10 months ago #54463

Hi Guys & Gals,

I have just brought a MGTF, and the battery light has just came on (not during the test drive :rant:

I have looked at the section about inspecting the belt and tension seems good, although I did hear a squeal whilst driving.

Here comes the bad bit.... I was prepare to remove the access panel to view the alternator and it was missing ! :bang:

So my guess and it is a guess is that I need to replace the alternator if I do not have voltage at the battery |(not yet checked as cant find multi meter!.

So my question is.... Do anybody know a part number for the access panel. And if I should just get a recon alternator or Pattern part?

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Alternator Problem 11 years 10 months ago #54467

Was it a private or dealer purchase? ... If it was a dealer then they are liable . end of.

Re: Alternator Problem 11 years 10 months ago #54468

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Invalid or non-existent item ID.Invalid or non-existent item ID.Not sure which cover are you referring to?

Is it

or

Ben may possibly be able sort you out with any of these bits.

As regards your alternator, if you don't have a multimeter can you get to your local garage and let them have a look at it?

Re: Alternator Problem 11 years 10 months ago #54470

This cover (covering the access to the alternator)

Re: Alternator Problem 11 years 10 months ago #54471

It was a dealer but a trade sale! sold as seen job! (was not even cleaned!!!

Just how the customer dropped it off.

Re: Alternator Problem 11 years 10 months ago #54474

The following user(s) said Thank You: craigsplates

Re: Alternator Problem 11 years 10 months ago #54491

It was a dealer but a trade sale! sold as seen job! (was not even cleaned!!!

Just how the customer dropped it off.

When you say a 'trade sale' , did you buy it for your business as a car dealer, (with the intention of fixing and resale for example) or did you buy it as a private individual?

There is a very important distinction. If the dealer sold it as a private customer sale, then the phrase 'trade sale' is irrelevant.

You have rights as a purchasing member of the public under the 'Sales of Goods and Services Act' which include the right to expect the purchased product to be fit for purpose, working correctly and as described.

Under this act the dealer has liabilities to ensure the vehicle sold is roadworthy, safe and of a reasonable standard ....EVEN IF THEY WERE UNAWARE OF THE FAULT THEY ARE STILL LIABLE ..... the only exceptions to this are fair wera and tear of consumables such as punctured tyres, wipers brake pads etc.

IT IS A VERY COMMON SCAM FOR DEALERS TO CLAIM 'TRADE SALE' IN ORDER TO AVOID THEIR LIABILITIES TO THE CUSTOMER.

read here : http://www.oft.gov.uk/OFTwork/consumer-protection/campaign11-12/kycr/buying-a-used-car/

and here : http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/consumer_e/consumer_cars_and_other_vehicles_e/consumer_problems_with_the_car_you_bought_e/the_car_you_bought_is_faulty.htm

and in my former existance (before the meglamonaiac banned me ... :lol: ) I contributed to a similar case with good advice from some others :http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=439732&highlight=Sale+of+goods+services

Don't let them make a mug of you. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44, Leigh Ping

Re: Alternator Problem 11 years 10 months ago #54860

Don't let them make a mug of you. ;)

Thank you mogatrons

Well there is some great news!

It was listed as a trade sale on Ebay, as a sold as seen, no warrenty. But the dealership is next door to where I work so I walked over the road offered them cash as it did not sell. So did NOT buy via ebay, and it is not classed as a trade sale so they going to have to fix it! I never even considered it! SO BIG THANK YOU :broon:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Re: Alternator Problem 11 years 10 months ago #54861

Result! :broon: :broon: ....now you can spend the pennies saved on something nice for your toy. :lol:

.....and it's this kinda thing that makes the T-Bar a great place to hang out. :broon:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, Sheefag, craigsplates

Re: Alternator Problem 11 years 10 months ago #54866

Which cover it is is very important here. The first one in the useful pics above is a structural part of the car, it must be fitted and all bolts present and correct for the car to be legal and safe to drive. If the captive nuts are damaged this could run away with a few workshop hours I suppose the wire grille could be argued that way, it does keep clothing and untrained fingers out of the works and you can open the boot while the engine is running if you have 2 keys. The dealer must have paid more than the trade price when he .part exed . If he was running his business right he would still have been able to send it to auction where he can turn it into cash and forget about it.
Anyway, i hope you can save the car and enjoy it for years.

Re: Alternator Problem 11 years 10 months ago #54867

Which cover it is is very important here. The first one in the useful pics above is a structural part of the car, it must be fitted and all bolts present and correct for the car to be legal and safe to drive. If the captive nuts are damaged this could run away with a few workshop hours I suppose the wire grille could be argued that way, it does keep clothing and untrained fingers out of the works and you can open the boot while the engine is running if you have 2 keys. The dealer must have paid more than the trade price when he .part exed . If he was running his business right he would still have been able to send it to auction where he can turn it into cash and forget about it.
Anyway, i hope you can save the car and enjoy it for years.

I brought it to kind of clean up do a mini service and sell on, BUT, love working on the car, and enjoy it, so think I may just have to keep it for a year!

Re: Alternator Problem 11 years 10 months ago #54869

Re working on these cars. When i got mine i expected it be a knuckle skinning pig with the mid engine layout. In fact its easier than a lot of front engine FWD cars.

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.873 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT