Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

hydragas cone removal ? 11 years 11 months ago #50622

Can anyone tell me how to swop the cone on my Trophy rear sphere? I have a replacement sphere unit, but it does not have the cone fitted, so I plan to put the existing one in it when I swop them over on Sunday.

Does the cone come out easily?? What is involved?

cheers

:-?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: hydragas cone removal ? 11 years 11 months ago #50625

Check the 'Suspension & steering' guides in the how to section. Click the big orange button on the left of your screen. There may be something there for you.

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Re: hydragas cone removal ? 11 years 11 months ago #50627

Can anyone tell me how to swop the cone on my Trophy rear sphere? I have a replacement sphere unit, but it does not have the cone fitted, so I plan to put the existing one in it when I swop them over on Sunday.

Does the cone come out easily?? What is involved?

cheers

:-?

Here is a write up by Rob Bell on the replacing of the rear Hydragas sphere. dont know what you mean about the cone?? the sphere should be complete and sits over the lower knuckle joint and pin. you have got the kit to lower and repump the system

http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/DIY/suspension/replace_hydragas_sphere/index.htm

Re: hydragas cone removal ? 11 years 11 months ago #50646

Hi Bryan

I mean the bit that Rob is hacksawing in section 7 of that guide.

I'm probably going to clamp to the bench and try and prise it out - the pictures in section 5, 6 & 7 of Dieter's guide (just found) make me think it will prise out with a spanner - http://www.mgfcar.de/defects/warn2.jpg

I bought one of the ebay pumps (converted grease gun) - works OK actually - pretty slow and a bit messy (not too sure about the pressure gauge accuracy). I also bought his low loss valve and a cheap vacuum pump with a non return valve.

I replaced the front a few weeks ago but that side has dropped again within a week.

Crazy thing is that I don't see any fluid leaks. So I changed the front first (seemed easiest from the How To's) and that was easy to be honest.

With it down so low I can't even get off our drive (grounds out on the ridge) so car is unused until this is replaced.

Re: hydragas cone removal ? 11 years 11 months ago #50654

Phil, I found this on Dieter's site. It states that if you apply air pressure to the lower sphere the cone will pop out.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Dieter

Re: hydragas cone removal ? 11 years 11 months ago #50669

David

Cheers for that - I've got an air line compressor so I'll give that a go.

Is there anything that Diester doesn't know the answer to?

many thanks for that

Phil

Re: hydragas cone removal ? 11 years 11 months ago #50677

David

Cheers for that - I've got an air line compressor so I'll give that a go.

Is there anything that Diester doesn't know the answer to?

many thanks for that

Phil

Be very very careful how much pressure you put in :bust: :bust: you would be very wise to use a foot pump to blow up the lower compartment of the sphere very slowly. dont just put the 120psi from the air line on the sphere or the cone will come out like a bullet out of a gun.

Dieter is worth his weight in gold :woohoo: :woohoo:

The Nitrogen gas in the upper section of the spehre fails and leaks out, allowing the fluid to compress the top part, although it usually needs more pressure to lift up the car and results in a hard bumpy ride.

Rob Bell's article also says use the cars own scissor jack under the rear subframe jacking points to lift the car enough to get the trolley jack under.

Good luck with your job and let us know how you get on. :yesnod:

******Just found this on Dieters site ~ He used 11.5 bar which is 167 psi be very careful (my air compressor cuts out at 125 psi)

The cone easy pops out with some air pressure to the lower sphere.

(Battery compressor 11.5 Bar used and the interconnection joint, MGR tool 18G1743

Last edit: Post by bryan young.

Re: hydragas cone removal ? 11 years 11 months ago #50686

I'll be careful. Will dig out the old foot pump - and try that instead of compressor (saves lugging compressor home from dad's garage for the day).

I always have always had to use scissor jack as a starter even after it was pumped up. Pain really. I bought a long arm trolley jack a few months ago so I can get to the centre lift point and get a good height. Axles stands too - so no risks.

Really grateful for the help - cheers.

and I'll update on Sunday if the rain keeps off. If it rains I'll be working on wife's '73 Imp (in dad's garage - explains why the compressor is down there!).

Local garage think we are nuts having 2 cars renowned for their head gaskets and difficult to access engine bays!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Re: hydragas cone removal ? 11 years 11 months ago #50715

I'll be careful. Will dig out the old foot pump - and try that instead of compressor (saves lugging compressor home from dad's garage for the day)....!

And don't forget to apply some fluid soap to the cone tip when getting it back in place. For easy slip in to the cone seat.
:broon:
Dieter K.
MGF Rep. MGCC DE
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Re: hydragas cone removal ? 11 years 11 months ago #50849

All done. The cone came out easily - in the end I put the end in the vice - not too tight - and gave it a good pull. Slipped out quite easily. I kept the air option in reserve!

The cone slipped in to the new sphere easily - I used some washing up liquid and bunged the hole with a finger and the cone slipped in to the rubber.

Putting the sphere back in was quite easy - enlisted my wife to help (real tom bay) - 4 hands always better than 2 with the top nuts & bolts!

So we've pumped it up to 355mm and taken it for a 10 mile drive. Re measured andf still 355mm. Will see what it is like in a week's time.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Re: hydragas cone removal ? 11 years 11 months ago #50959

All done. The cone came out easily - in the end I put the end in the vice - not too tight - and gave it a good pull. Slipped out quite easily. I kept the air option in reserve!

The cone slipped in to the new sphere easily - I used some washing up liquid and bunged the hole with a finger and the cone slipped in to the rubber.

Putting the sphere back in was quite easy - enlisted my wife to help (real tom bay) - 4 hands always better than 2 with the top nuts & bolts!

So we've pumped it up to 355mm and taken it for a 10 mile drive. Re measured andf still 355mm. Will see what it is like in a week's time.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Great news and thanks for getting back, it may settle a bit so it is worthwhile checking in a week and there is a plus or minus 10mm variation to the dimensions as well. :woohoo:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT