Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Sticky Throttle 12 years 1 day ago #48586

Still getting a bit of bother with the throttle on the TF, when pressing it down there is a slightly gritty feel to it and when driving the car, its difficult to maintain smooth progress sometimes. When I want gentle acceleration through the town I try to press the pedal lightly and nothing happens so I press it more then I get to much aceleration - its becoming a real pain to drive.

I have removed the throttle cable connection from both the acelerator pedal and throttle body, when removed the cable runs freely through its outer sheath.

I have checked the pedal assembly and its smooth as well - I lubricated the pedal pivot just to be sure.

At the throttle body end, the flap pivots freely and has similar feel to the one on my freelander (although the Freelander is smooth) I have even disconnected one of the throttle return springs which helped but its not perfect.

Kind of running out of ideas now and its putting me off the car :(
MG TF LE500 27 of 500

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Sticky Throttle 12 years 1 day ago #48589

The 'gritty' comment is the sort of effect you get if some of the inner cable is frayed. Are you brave enough to pull it out of its sheath to check for loose strands?:shrug:
David
:shrug:

Re: Sticky Throttle 12 years 1 day ago #48592

The 'gritty' comment is the sort of effect you get if some of the inner cable is frayed. Are you brave enough to pull it out of its sheath to check for loose strands?:shrug:

I would have to cut the nipple off the end to do that and after trying to repair Freelander window winder cables, I don't think I would get a strong enough bond when soldering on a new nipple :nonod: I was thinking of trying a new cable but after feeling it run free when disconnected, figured a new cable would feel the same - but maybe not!
MG TF LE500 27 of 500

Re: Sticky Throttle 12 years 1 day ago #48598

It could feel like that if it has worn through the lining on a bend somewhere, i would be inclined to replace the cable, then if it is not this and is still "gritty" can onl be the pedal end or the TB :-?

Last edit: Post by PQD44.

Re: Sticky Throttle 11 years 11 months ago #50794

Finally fitted a new throttle cable and it has transformed the car, I now have a nice smooth throttle action and better than it has ever been.

I think I have found the reason, the second clip back on the sill (pedal end) it looks like when the cable was fitted they managed to kink it as in the photo below so badly that the outer sheath was worn away.

Now the car is a pleasure to drive again

MG TF LE500 27 of 500
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: Sticky Throttle 11 years 11 months ago #50796

:broon: Good news,mate!:yesnod:
David

Re: Sticky Throttle 11 years 11 months ago #50798

• Humphrey
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
  • It's better to wear out than to rust out
Well done David :broon: I know you have been having that problem for a while ...glad the clockwork orange is silky smooth again!
:drive: :drive:
'I started off with nuthin and still got most of it left!'

You know, I spent a fortune on deodorant before I realised
that people didn't like me anyway!

Re: Sticky Throttle 11 years 11 months ago #50850

Well done David :broon: I know you have been having that problem for a while ...glad the clockwork orange is silky smooth again!
:drive: :drive:

I can't believe the difference its made, so much better now :)
MG TF LE500 27 of 500

Re: Sticky Throttle 11 years 5 months ago #84654

How hard is it to replace the throttle cable as this seems like the same story on my TF i thought it was me at first just being used to the F but could also be why the revs take time to die down when you lift off

Freestyle and TF for Sale Mk1 work in progress, well it never stops does it lol

Re: Sticky Throttle 11 years 5 months ago #84658

• Visitor
  • Visitor
easy ring me tomorrow 07917 035532.

Re: Sticky Throttle 10 years 8 months ago #127209

G'day fellas.
My 04 TF 160 with only 28000kms on the clock has the same symptoms as Humphries car, and same free play at both the pedal and TB. (Both move smoothly when no tension on the cable). I wonder if my car has a damaged outer cable as well?
Anyway, how much for a new throttle cable and from who? (Will need to be sent to me in Oz). Also, how long to fit and is it a big job?
Thanks for any info and best wishes all.

Ken

Last edit: Post by Baytown.

Re: Sticky Throttle 10 years 8 months ago #127212

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-SBB000280
82AuD +delivery!
David
The following user(s) said Thank You: Baytown

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.
  • Page: