Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Coolant levels/HGF/alarms etc 12 years 1 week ago #48018

I think I've read enough to understand that the HGF issue is partly down to the design of the K series engine and the relatively low volume of coolant in the entire system. (Nothing to do with GSD3s, clear engine covers or door card LEDs apparently?)

There seems to be enough excitement generated about aftermarket coolant level alarms as an early warning device though at the moment I'm content to use the mk1 eyeball at the start and end of every journey (and on long enough journeys to carry out quick inspections en route).

I'm interested to know why a larger header tank hasn't been introduced for example a swirl pot with a "proper" radiator cap could be plumbed in and contain another 2 litres without difficulty. No?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Coolant levels/HGF/alarms etc 12 years 1 week ago #48019

I suspect that it still wouldn't stop a gasket from failing.

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Re: Coolant levels/HGF/alarms etc 12 years 1 week ago #48022

If you get a water leek 20 lts extra would not help as it would all be pumped out in 5-6 mls. having said that most HGF are down to a cheap head gasket with rover used and this known when I got mine I used 4 LIVE COOLANT in my MGTF from new and after 55k mls it changed colour telling me the head gasket was about to blow [gas gets though before water and the gases make the coolant change colour].
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, bensewell

Re: Coolant levels/HGF/alarms etc 12 years 1 week ago #48024

I think a part of the problem is also the fact that the expansion tank is not an expansion tank, as such. In other cars the expansion tank is outside the normal coolant circulation and so acts as the name suggests.

In our cars it is actually part of the circulation system, so we don't have a spare volume of coolant available.

The top of the engine is also above the radiator top level, so any loss of coolant impinges on the head area immediately.

Add in the extra piping involved with the engine/radiator/heater matrix layout means we have an engine head susceptible to even small coolant losses allied with a complicated plumbing system.

Throw in a poor original head gasket design and why would anyone be surprised the engine eats head gaskets. :-?
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: Coolant levels/HGF/alarms etc 12 years 1 week ago #48034

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!

If you get a water leek 20 lts extra would not help as it would all be pumped out in 5-6 mls. having said that most HGF are down to a cheap head gasket with rover used and this known when I got mine I used 4 LIVE COOLANT in my MGTF from new and after 55k mls it changed colour telling me the head gasket was about to blow [gas gets though before water and the gases make the coolant change colour].

That is amazing advice. Off to buy some of that stuff soon. I'm at 39k and am a bit OCD with checking. :beer: :lol:

Re: Coolant levels/HGF/alarms etc 12 years 1 week ago #48042

I've just posted on Bens other topic for Other Coolant alarms about Andy Cappy's Lo-Larm solution for detecting coolant loss.

All the bits you need inc full instructions for around £65, fits on the expansion tank, with audio and LED warnings if loss is detected. It won't prevent HGF, but at least it will warn you immediately so you can stop and save the engine,
Plus you don't have to remember to check the tank before/after every run, not everyone one is as thorough and conscientious as Ben.

If anyone would like more info PM me and I'll dig his contact details from one of the magazines.

All the best
Gary
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Turned to the Darkside, K&N Apollo and extra bling fitted.52mm TB
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT