Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Removing Steering wheel 14 years 4 months ago #4595

I hope the wife doesnt come on here & see what Ive been doing cos I bought loads of stuff this week - she will kill me!!

I bought a mint cond T bar with speaker housing, Greenstuff pads for the rear (did front a couple of weeks back) & today I collected a shed load of silver interior trim bits, centre console, speedo surround, heater knobs, ashtray, handle cups & great cond black & silver steering wheel.

My question is, Ive never removed a steering wheel with an airbag. I know to disconnect the battery for half hour to de activate it but anything else I need to know / be aware of please??

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Removing Steering wheel 14 years 4 months ago #4598

I hope the wife doesnt come on here & see what Ive been doing cos I bought loads of stuff this week - she will kill me!!

I bought a mint cond T bar with speaker housing, Greenstuff pads for the rear (did front a couple of weeks back) & today I collected a shed load of silver interior trim bits, centre console, speedo surround, heater knobs, ashtray, handle cups & great cond black & silver steering wheel.

My question is, Ive never removed a steering wheel with an airbag. I know to disconnect the battery for half hour to de activate it but anything else I need to know / be aware of please??

Just a couple of things to be aware of.
First there is a rotary coupler behind the steering wheel that connects the airbag and the horn buttons. it is vital that you don't turn this from the position you find it. It is a tape ribbon connection inside and any rotation could mean that the next time you use full lock you rip the ribbon out!

Second is just a tip. Use tippex to mark the wheel and the shaft so you can replace it in the same position.

I can't think of anything else, oh except that the bag assembly is held on with two of those anti-tamper star bolts from the instrument side. The bag is connected with a yellow plug.
David
:shrug:

Removing Steering wheel 14 years 4 months ago #4603

Thanks David.
Does the airbag just prise off / pull off like a horn push would on an older car?

Removing Steering wheel 14 years 4 months ago #4607

Thanks David.
Does the airbag just prise off / pull off like a horn push would on an older car?

No, there are two bolts as mentioned securing from the instrument cluster side that are a delight to get at. Then the air bag just comes off, being still attached by the yellow cable.
David

Removing Steering wheel 14 years 4 months ago #4608

Ohhh right, I get you now.
Thanks again
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jayjay65

Removing Steering wheel 14 years 4 months ago #4609

Ohhh right, I get you now.
Thanks again

The easiest way to get at the bolts is to turn the steering wheel so that one bolt is accessible from the footwell, and then turn the wheel to reveal the second bolt. If that makes sense?:dunno:
David

Removing Steering wheel 14 years 4 months ago #4651

Sorry about the bad picture, but here is the "thing" you must not turn:

Removing Steering wheel 14 years 4 months ago #4661

Sorry about the bad picture, but here is the "thing" you must not turn:

That helps too thank you, I know what to expect now when I take the wheel off. I think I will attempt it in a while!!

Removing Steering wheel 14 years 4 months ago #4675

Good news..........well, it is for me anyway, I swapped the steering wheel & to make things even better, Ive not been disfigured by an exploding airbag........which is nice!!

Removing Steering wheel 14 years 4 months ago #4676

Good news..........well, it is for me anyway, I swapped the steering wheel & to make things even better, Ive not been disfigured by an exploding airbag........which is nice!!

:rockon::yesnod:
David

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT