Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Door Rattle.... 12 years 1 month ago #42918

My 97 MG-F has developed an annoying door rattle accompanied by the occasional clang!! Its driving me complete nuts. Initially it sounded like it was coming from the engine bay (driver side) but an extensive check of everything there including suspension show nothing loose.

There are in effect two noises. One is a metallic rattle, like a metal cable bouncing off steel. The second is a distinct and loud clang when going over a large bump in the road. Have notice if I drive with the window down and put downwards pressure on the door with my arm the noise seems to disappear or at least be reduced.

Anyone experienced anything like this? Could it be the door on the door striker? The cars locks some times don't activate properly making a repetitive clicking sound when used which in the past has meant the doors need to be adjusted as they'd dropped little. Could this be the culprit.

Getting ready to head to Tasmania in a few weeks which is over 2000km each way so would really like to nail this one before I go. As I am out of ideas I am hopeful the brains trust here on the list can help..... ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Door Rattle.... 12 years 1 month ago #42919

Re: Door Rattle.... 12 years 1 month ago #42920

Does the door drop when opened if so these may help

Door Hinge Repair Kit MGF & MGTF Mike Satur
Completed

Last edit: Post by midlife martyr.

Re: Door Rattle.... 12 years 1 month ago #42945

one other fault is the door glass becomming lose due to the rear gude wareing out or falling off

mine fell to pices so fitted a new one but got is wrong and the glass went bang so had to get a new window as well
mad about cars and bikes :)
if it aint broke dont fix it :)

Re: Door Rattle.... 12 years 1 month ago #42950

Have you had the door card off to see if anything is loose in the bottom of the door? the original plastic window stops have a habit of breaking off, but as they are plastic should not rattle, if they have been replaced with the upgraded stop (nut bolt and spacer) it could have come undone and dropped into the bottom of the door, one of the window fixings/adjusters could have come undone (there are eight) or a lock operating rod. The hinge pins are prone to wear and cause the door to drop, a replacement kit is availiable from MGOC here in UK.

Re: Door Rattle.... 12 years 1 month ago #42952

I had exactly the same noise(s). :yesnod:

I had a perished top bush on the offside rear damper, I made a polybush replacement up out of a polybush exhaust hanger I had spare.
David
:shrug:

Re: Door Rattle.... 12 years 1 month ago #42959

hi this is the part that fell off thus the rattle in my door

photo3 :)
http://www.mgfcar.de/window/window_rattle.htm
mad about cars and bikes :)
if it aint broke dont fix it :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.082 seconds