Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

AP brake pads 12 years 1 month ago #42248

Not seen this before - not how I put the pads in but then I'm not a professional mechanic unlike the person who did it

is this ok or should I replace them? - wouldn't have thought that reducing the contact area was a good thing. :nonod:

The TF only has done about 10 miles since the service.

Life is its own answer, accept it and enjoy it day by day. Live as well as possible, expect no more." - Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles ...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: AP brake pads 12 years 1 month ago #42251

I've done this before to cure juddering or squealing brakes, but unless you were complaining about same, I don't know why someone would do that. They seem to have taken quite a chunk of contact area away.:shrug:
David
:shrug:

Re: AP brake pads 12 years 1 month ago #42257

Hi David

it was just part of a routine service for which i supplied the parts. The pads are a tight fit in one of the calipers but that only needs the end of the backing plate grinding down slightly.

Would you replace them - it looks like I've lost about a third of the contact area when you see the pads in real life.

Life is its own answer, accept it and enjoy it day by day. Live as well as possible, expect no more." - Ray Bradbury, The Martian Chronicles ...

Re: AP brake pads 12 years 1 month ago #42259

Really your call. If the brakes feel OK then you'll eventually get back to full contact area, but it would be worth asking why it was done.
David
:shrug:

Re: AP brake pads 12 years 1 month ago #42261

Cheers David.
Must admit I didn't understand it. Replacement will have to wait for payday now anyway. Test driving the cooling system later so will assess the brakes then, but likely to replace them for peace of mind if nothing else.

Re: AP brake pads 12 years 1 month ago #42285

I have seen this before with "aftermarket" pads to ensure that they dont squeal, it does look to me that the pads were made like this, someone would have to be very clever to grind that much off, so very neatly!! ~ i dont think they are genuine OEM AP pads and if it was me, i would replace them with the correct genuine ones.

Powerstop Brakes are now part of British Motor Heritage and their MD John Yea has written an article in Motoring Classics and i quote "" there are too many sub-standard brake parts on the market, and i am particularly concerned about some of the very cheap pads and linings that are sold within the classic sector. It is an old adage that there is no such thing as a "free lunch", and with brake components I'm afraid you largely get what you pay for. In the extreme cheap brakes might not just cost you your car, but your life as well.""

I have also read elsewhere of tests that were carried out using OEM parts and cheap aftermarket parts ~ the wear rate was much higher on the aftermarket parts and the efficiency was lower, making stopping distances much greater. you reall get what you pay for. Buy peanuts and you get monkeys!!!! :broon:

Re: AP brake pads 12 years 1 month ago #42297

They're Mintex pads supplied by myself and weren't tapered like this when i opened the box. Still as i said will be replacing them to be safe.

Re: AP brake pads 12 years 1 month ago #42303

They're Mintex pads supplied by myself and weren't tapered like this when i opened the box. Still as i said will be replacing them to be safe.

I would Shoot the bugger that fitted them, they should not have touched them at all and nothing in the caliper should need grinding either, if the guides are clean the pads should sin in snugly. i would reccomend that the retaining pins are replaced too, you can now get these from MGOC for about £2.50 each. It is a false economy to re-use the old sprung pins. :yesnod:

Re: AP brake pads 12 years 1 month ago #42313

Done, and the spring plates also.

The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT