Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

How To... Fit a set of MG Valve caps. 12 years 3 months ago #37073

As per “Christmas competition”, “Red Devils Chrome Charity specials” or from a supplier ...
1. Find your valve covers. They will look something like this (though without the keyring). See the 4 little “MG” octagons:

Note that if they do not say “MG” on them as in the picture, then you have been ripped off and have been sent an inferior set. Find a solicitor immediately.

2. Find your car. It is likely to be either outside your house or in the garage. If it is in the house then you probably crashed the last time you came home. If it is not there, then it has either been stolen (call the police) or your better half or child has taken it for a spin... (In which case you may still want to call the police...).

3. Find a Wheel. The wheel is a round thing near each corner of the car. Note that there are 2 main parts: The black bit round the edge is rubber and is called the tyre. The silver bit is the wheel. Your wheel may be a different colour to mine, and also a different pattern. If your car is posh the tyre may be very narrow and the silver wheel bit may be bigger.

[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Leigh Ping, Red Devil

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Tsleight.

Re: How To... Fit a set of MG Valve caps. 12 years 3 months ago #37074

4. If your tyre looks like this:

Then seek help! There may be a “How To... fix a puncture” thread? If not then go for a pint and leave it until another day as the car won’t be going anywhere...

5. Pick one of the wheels and look at it closely. You will see a bit sticking out on the inside of the wheel as in the picture. Note: NOT the 4 bits sticking out in the middle of the wheel! If you undo these then the wheel will fall off. This is dangerous!

Grasp the black cover between thumb and forefinger and twist firmly anti-clockwise as in the picture. After a while the black cover will fall off.

6. You will now see a bare valve with no cover! Note: If you didn’t find a black cover at Step 5, don’t worry! Look for a picture as per below and carry on from here...

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: How To... Fit a set of MG Valve caps. 12 years 3 months ago #37076

7. Take one of the “MG” valve covers froms its packaging and very carefully place over the bare valve so as not to scratch its shiny surface. Turn clockwise until firm and it should look similar to below:

8. Repeat for the remaining 3 wheels of the car. If you find you still have a valve cap in your packaging, then carefully check each corner of the car until you find which one is missing its MG valve cap! If for some reason you cannot find 4 wheels then call the police...

You have now completed your task! Well done! Simples...

:woohoo: :thumbsup:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, bryan young, PQD44, Leigh Ping

Re: How To... Fit a set of MG Valve caps. 12 years 3 months ago #37085

Ohhh....so that's what they are for.

That 'how to' brightened up my day no end. :lol: I thank you :thumbsup:

Re: How To... Fit a set of MG Valve caps. 12 years 3 months ago #37086

:bust: Fantastic how to :broon: for a much needed piece of maintenance/improvement. :yesnod: :thumbsup:

One serious point, it is vital to add a small amount of copperslip or grease to the valve threads, as failure to do so will result in your nice shiny cap welding itself to the valve! :yesnod:

And yes it happened to me. :pinch:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: How To... Fit a set of MG Valve caps. 12 years 3 months ago #37103

so what do you put in the valve hydrogen :bust:
mad about cars and bikes :)
if it aint broke dont fix it :)

Re: How To... Fit a set of MG Valve caps. 12 years 3 months ago #37385