Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Gudleif, MGF wind deflector question 12 years 4 months ago #34255

Gudleif wrote:-

I have just bought me a MGF wind deflector and I need a instruction manual. My deflector is for a 1997 MGF., but i do not know were to fit. To the soft top or to the car?

The fitting kit for the MGR mesh windstop and it fits onto the T bar behind the seats. :yesnod:

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Re: Gudleif, question 12 years 4 months ago #34260

You will need a copy of the hole marking template to mark the correct positions for the holes

Start with a small drill bit when you make the holes in the T bar

You can then remove the 10mm bolts

Last edit: Post by Red Devil.

Re: Gudleif, question 12 years 4 months ago #34262

To fit the windstop you will need to remove the T bar, first.

there are three screws along the back edge to remove and then the T bar will pull forward to release 6 plastic plug fixings.

There are two bolts each side of the crossmember / speaker bar(depends on model), and you need to remove the front bolt on each side and replace with the longer bolts from the fitting kit. There is the template to mark the drill holes(above) or you can also do it this way:-
If you leave the long bolts sitting proud and temporarily replace the T bar pressing down onto the bolts. This will give you two marks on the underside to use as guides to drill holes through the Tbar.

When you have drilled the two holes, check they are in the right place, before removing the long bolts ready to refit the Tbar.

Now you need to drop the long bolt through the black plastic block from the fitting kit. Guide the bolt through one of your newly created holes in The T bar.
Under the tbar slide the black tube onto the protruding bolt and screw the bolt into the empty bolt hole.

Repeat for the other side. Refit the Tbar properly, pushing in the plastic fittings and putting the three screws back in.

Now you can tighten up the two long bolts. Fit the windstop to the blocks and tighten the plastic-headed wing nuts.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gudleif

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Re: Gudleif, question 12 years 4 months ago #34264

Line up the wind stop retaing wing nut supports

Put the kit fixing screws into the hole in the support and through the dowels

Repeat for other side.

Place the wind stop into the slots in the supports and fit retaining wing nut (this bit is easier with two people

Job done

The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, Gudleif

Last edit: Post by Red Devil.

Re: Gudleif, question 12 years 4 months ago #34265

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
:thumbsup: There you go looks like Red Devil has already made the How to. Do you have a copy of the template RD? I have one somewhere if you don't and we can tidy this thread up and make it into a new How To for the site.

Many thanks :broon:

Re: Gudleif, question 12 years 4 months ago #34266

:thumbsup: There you go looks like Red Devil has already made the How to. Do you have a copy of the template RD? I have one somewhere if you don't and we can tidy this thread up and make it into a new How To for the site.

Sorry no I sent it to some one to use and it never came back :(

I remember the instructions said to use an 8mm socket but it should be a 10mm

Re: Gudleif, question 12 years 4 months ago #34269

Excellent photos but I must point out that you start to fit the windstop back to front. :nonod:

But it does end up the right way around! :yesnod: :bust:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: Gudleif, question 12 years 4 months ago #34273

Excellent photos but I must point out that you start to fit the windstop back to front. :nonod:

But it does end up the right way around! :yesnod: :bust:

I know, to many Valium to calm the nerves before I started. This was an easy job but a huge undertaking for me :oops:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, bryan young, PQD44, Leigh Ping, Gudleif

Re: Gudleif, question 12 years 4 months ago #34296

This was one of the first jobs I did on my car.

Just a word of caution regarding the template - be sure that it prints full size. My printer downscaled the pdf I had and was slightly small. Fortunately I checked and corrected the scale issue before getting the drill out :thumbsup:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, Red Devil

Re: Gudleif, question 12 years 4 months ago #34792

Template - is there anyone who has got a template ?

Re: Gudleif, question 12 years 4 months ago #34793

Template - is there anyone who has got a template ?

I let some one borrow mine and never had it back.

If you can not get one I can measure the position of the hole in my T Bar and post them on this thread. Or I can make a template and post it to you.

Hope this helps, John.

Re: Gudleif, question 12 years 4 months ago #34796

Isn't is just a big L where you would need to measure the distance from the 1 screw hole to the end of the second line of the L then mark that point for drilling (if that makes sense)?

Thankfully, I have a perspex one. They're very easy to fit.

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT