Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Hardtop 12 years 5 months ago #31393

Evening all,

Well winter is on its way and I have just purchased a second hand hardtop. I am going to be driving up to Bristol to collect it on Sunday in my MGF. Thought just occured to me, will the hardtop fit with the soft top still attached ?(obviously retracted). If not will the soft top fit in the car?

Is there anything I should look out for? Is there anything that I need to secure the hardtop?. It has all the clips etc on the hardtop.
Where will I find the connector for the heated rear window?

I know it's lots of questions but I was more concerned getting the top before the weather changed. The guy who previously owned it garaged it at all times......it does not seem to leak at the moment but we have not had any really bad weather so to speak of.

As per usual any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ty

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Hardtop 12 years 5 months ago #31394

hy ty the hardtop will fit over the soft top , just remember to un zip the back window and lay it flat so theres no creases when you fold the soft top down. you might just after adjust the catches so they fit your mgf but the guy you have bought it off should be able to show and help you
[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, bryan young, Leigh Ping

Re: Hardtop 12 years 5 months ago #31396

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
You will find the connector for the HRW under the carpet over the rear parcel shelf. However, unless fitted by the previous owner you will need to fit a switch and relay to operate the HRW. The switch and relay can be purchased of ebay.

Plenty of info on this on the web, we may even have a how to ourselves.

rayb's advice was correct I would just add you may need to adjust your window stops to get a good seal. After fitting the hard top I found it squeaked and made creaking noises for the first few days until it it settled down, so be warned.

The hard top is a very good addition for severe weather and the rear visibility is greatly improved.

You can remove the soft top before fitting the hard top if you are going to be using it for an extended period. I did this as I couldn't see the point in driving around with the dead weight of the soft top, which is heavier than the hard top by the way, so be carefull lifting it off if you do decide, it is a two man job.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Last edit: Post by PQD44. Reason: extra info

Re: Hardtop 12 years 5 months ago #31398

I've seen Rayb's car with the hardtop on and the softop folded down inside. I was surprised at how spacious it seemed.

Not my brand of marmite though as I'm a 'real' ragtop man. :whistle:

Re: Hardtop 12 years 5 months ago #31405

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

I've seen Rayb's car with the hardtop on and the softop folded down inside. I was surprised at how spacious it seemed.

You should see how spacious it is with the soft top removed and the hard top on (refer to my post above), it feels enormous.
Then on a bright winters day take the hard top off and drive around with no roof, the car looks fantastic and it feels so liberating being completely topless :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Leigh Ping, zagorkaman

Re: Hardtop 12 years 5 months ago #31512

Thanks for the help guys and gals

Re: Hardtop 12 years 5 months ago #31513

Thanks for the help guys and gals

Please let us know the outcome of your trip and the fitting, any more questions just "fire away" :thumbsup:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: Hardtop 12 years 5 months ago #31533

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
I bet it's even more spacious with the soft top down and the hardtop removed. ;)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT