Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Rattle 12 years 6 months ago #29379

Hi,
New to the forum so Hello to you all. Purchased my first ragtop at the weekend. She's 1996 mgf in BRG. 67k on the clock last 2 owners last one for 7 years. In those 7 years car has covered just 6k.
Anyway down to business, the motor has a scorpion exhaust system and when I picked her up on Saturday all sounded good. Tooke her out yesterday to see what she can do........she does good!!! Driving to work this morning I noticed that there is a tinny kind of rattle. Sounds like a ring is bouncing around in a tin! It only occurs when accelerating...stops when you dip the clutch and doesn't seem to do it if you rev her when stationary. Is it something simple like a jubilee clip that has come loose or is there a hidden danger.

In the last year the motor has only done 300 miles in total and I know it has been treated with kid gloves. I'm hoping that its only something that has worked loose as I opened her up big time yesterday. Everything else is fine...no water or oil used etc.

Any help appreciated by this newbie!

Cheers

Ty

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re: Rattle 12 years 6 months ago #29380

:welcome2:

To be honest, that rattle could be anything.:shrug: Doesn't seem terminal. though.

Someone was being driven mad by a rattle/squeak and found it was a Jubilee clip touching the firewall. :yesnod:
Maybe if you could get a sound file/video and upload it, someone will recognise it.
Also if you can narrow down the area that would also help.
David
:shrug:

Re: Rattle 12 years 6 months ago #29391

Hi,
New to the forum so Hello to you all. Purchased my first ragtop at the weekend. She's 1996 mgf in BRG. 67k on the clock last 2 owners last one for 7 years. In those 7 years car has covered just 6k.
Anyway down to business, the motor has a scorpion exhaust system and when I picked her up on Saturday all sounded good. Tooke her out yesterday to see what she can do........she does good!!! Driving to work this morning I noticed that there is a tinny kind of rattle. Sounds like a ring is bouncing around in a tin! It only occurs when accelerating...stops when you dip the clutch and doesn't seem to do it if you rev her when stationary. Is it something simple like a jubilee clip that has come loose or is there a hidden danger.

In the last year the motor has only done 300 miles in total and I know it has been treated with kid gloves. I'm hoping that its only something that has worked loose as I opened her up big time yesterday. Everything else is fine...no water or oil used etc.

Any help appreciated by this newbie!

Cheers

Ty

WELCOME TO THE T BAR :thumbsup: :woohoo:

Daz will be able to throw some light on the rattle, as David has said the last one was a jubilee clip rubbing on the firewall. Is it a VVC engine as these can be a bit rattly?? Looks a cracking car from the photos

Re: Rattle 12 years 6 months ago #29438

To be honest my first thoughts were that it sounded like a clip that may have worked lose. I gave the car a thorough work out on Sunday and the rattling began Monday morning. It sounds as though it is coming from very close to the offside airduct. When I accelerate it is fine at low revs but becomes noisy when I am hitting approx 2000 rpm. It does not do it at idle. It does not do it when I change gear either. The rattle seems most prevolent when decelerating through the gears.

I am pretty sure its something to do with the exhaust but am worried it may be somethig loosening near the manifold. It does not sound like a solid metal rattle if you know what I mean....it really sounds tinny!

Thanks for the comment on the car. She is not concourse but not far off it. She is getting a jolly good claying at the weekend (weather permitting) so I will know exactly what I need to do to paint wise to get her that way.

Any help with the rattle would be great. As I said I think in original post my first thought was poxy jubilee clips. I will do a quick vid tomorrow and post it on here.

I am also on the look out for a hardtop. Any tips on price and what to look for would be great. I do know they are not cheap!

Cheers

Ty

Re: Rattle 12 years 6 months ago #29480

All sorted now!

Bolt had come loose on the alternator! Thank f**k I didn't leave it too long before getting it looked at. Got new wipers on and my guy charged me £25.............very reasonable
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: Rattle 12 years 6 months ago #29482

All sorted now!

Bolt had come loose on the alternator! Thank f**k I didn't leave it too long before getting it looked at. Got new wipers on and my guy charged me £25.............very reasonable

B) I'm glad it was easily spotted! How was your alternator belt?
David
:shrug:

Re: Rattle 12 years 6 months ago #29483

All seems ok......the bolt had come out about about 2-3 cms so was just rattling through vibration from the exhaust heat shield. She seems fine now! I had only driven about 10 miles with the rattle as I had no clue what id was and thought better safe than sorry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT