Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MGF Brake disc removal? 14 years 5 months ago #2823

Im just about to order my new drilled / grooved discs & Greenstuff pads but thought Id start by removing the old ones at the front. Calipers off no probs but the little disc retaining screws, although looking quite newish & shiney seem to be made out of chewing gum or something, as soon as I touched them with the screwdriver they were chewed to bits. I have drilled them out but not got all the old screw out yet. Is this what i can expect from all 4 corners or is there a secret to getting them off??
Do I need to fit the disc retaining screws when I fit the new discs as there is only 1 on the other side anyway?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MGF Brake disc removal? 14 years 5 months ago #2831

Mine were fairly new so came out ok, but I didn't refit them. The disks are held on by the wheelstuds and wheels so they are going nowhere. You may find a big hammer to beat the old disks off are needed, they seize onto the hubs.
Get the hub faces nice and clean with no rust etc or the new disks won't sit flat.

MGF Brake disc removal? 14 years 5 months ago #2835

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
An impact driver usually helps.

I fitted stainless steel retaining screws.

MGF Brake disc removal? 14 years 5 months ago #2846

Shifting the disc was not the problem, a few light taps with a hammer & off it came, it was how soft the metal was on the disc retaining screw that got me.
So you recon I can just drill out the old screws & not replace them??
The hub faces are almost as new, no rust at all. I was just going to give them a light smear of Copper grease when I put em back together.

MGF Brake disc removal? 14 years 5 months ago #2868

So you recon I can just drill out the old screws & not replace them?

Yes, as was already said, the wheel holds them on anyway.
David
:shrug:

MGF Brake disc removal? 14 years 5 months ago #2869

• Visitor
  • Visitor

Yes, as was already said, the wheel holds them on anyway.

But you can't check for run out without the retaniing screws.
Mike

MGF Brake disc removal? 14 years 5 months ago #2876

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

MGF Brake disc removal? 14 years 5 months ago #2936

There are some stainless steel ones on e-bay for a couple of quid

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MGF-MGTF-MG-TF-STAINLESS-DISC-BRAKE-STEADY-SCREWS_W0QQitemZ380108408413QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item58803a065d

Yeah, Ive seen them thanks Clive but I dunno if I can get the bits of old screw out yet. If I can, I will get some. Cant have enough stainless (even tho they wont be seen)

MGF Brake disc removal? 14 years 5 months ago #2953

I'm in the same boat as you hun! Took the discs of yesterday and notice the retaining screws were either not there, so chewed up, or rounded off! :frown: Impact driver is the way forward me thinks! Plus they're fun to play with! :lol:

MGF Brake disc removal? 14 years 5 months ago #2967

I'm in the same boat as you hun! Took the discs of yesterday and notice the retaining screws were either not there, so chewed up, or rounded off! :frown: Impact driver is the way forward me thinks! Plus they're fun to play with! :lol:

Ive been advised to get some Loctite Freeze & Release, its like a WD40 type releasing spray but freezes the nut / bolt down to -45 degrees, causing the seal formed by the rust to crack & allowing the lubricant to get in.
Never heard of it before but Im going to have a look for some over the weekend if I get chance & give it a go. Im gonna get an impact driver too, just so I can bash away at it in the garage :naughty::smokin:

Just out of curiosity what colour do you lot think I should do my calipers (the standard type) Im going to paint them but dont want them too OTT. My first thouhght was all Black, then I decided on all silver, then I thought of the big square bit black with the other part silver but now I have just ordered some bright orange, now the thought is to do the big square bit black with the other bit Orange??? :dunno:

The drilled / grooved discs I think im going to get have a black anti rust coating on them, a bit like the black diamond ones.

MGF Brake disc removal? 14 years 5 months ago #2974

Ive been advised to get some Loctite Freeze & Release, its like a WD40 type releasing spray but freezes the nut / bolt down to -45 degrees, causing the seal formed by the rust to crack & allowing the lubricant to get in.
Never heard of it before but Im going to have a look for some over the weekend if I get chance & give it a go. Im gonna get an impact driver too, just so I can bash away at it in the garage :naughty::smokin:

Just out of curiosity what colour do you lot think I should do my calipers (the standard type) Im going to paint them but dont want them too OTT. My first thouhght was all Black, then I decided on all silver, then I thought of the big square bit black with the other part silver but now I have just ordered some bright orange, now the thought is to do the big square bit black with the other bit Orange??? :dunno:

The drilled / grooved discs I think im going to get have a black anti rust coating on them, a bit like the black diamond ones.

That Loctite stuff sounds such good fun! I wonder what else you can spray with it... :CJJ:

I must admit if it were me I'd do the big square bit orange and the other bit black. I think if the majority of the colour is black or silver it just gets lost and orange calipers would be so unique & eye catching! :thumbsup:

You do have a stunning F btw - keep meaning to tell you it's one of my favourite colours! If I were you I'd totally spray my vents & console orange - it's such a beautiful, strong vibrant colour that you've got to own it! :piratebang:

MGF Brake disc removal? 14 years 5 months ago #3000

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.
Do them bright orange.

It is worth persevering to get new screws in. Not necessary, but they prvent the disc from moving when you take the wheels off.

I have some of the freeze spray and it has never worked for me. :dunno:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT